Belated Hello from Aurora IL

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailavie

sailavie
Reaction score
I've been a member of the list for a while, and I read the board on a regular basis - but I don't think I've ever done an intro - so here goes.

1st thanks for the wealth of knowledge that people share on this forum - it's been very informative!

A bit about me - I've been making wine for a little over 5 years - it all started when a friend give me a bottle that he made that I didn't like, and I thought I could do better. I made beer in the past so I had most of the basic equipment. I started with a kit and quickly moved to whole grapes, and my carboy's currently contain - Malbec, Foch, Marquette, Prairie Star, Syrah, Apple, Merlot, Pinot gris, and I'm going to start Cranberry in the next week. The wine rack contains Cab, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Cranberry, a blend of cab/merlot, Chardonnay, Gewürztraminer, Skeeter Pee, and Strawberry. So I'm hooked - and at least I think the results is better than my 1st sample of home made wine.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have been a busy guy. This is really a great place to share knowledge and experience. Glad to have you aboard.

Last edited:
Welcome! You may be a newbie poster, but certainly not a newbie wine maker. You have been a very busy wine maker. It is nice to have you.

Absolutely welcome and thanks for posting. I have blended several times a merlot and cab. sauv. It's a great blend. I recently blended a merlot with a muscadine. Awesome.

Two years ago I did 5 different test blends. All gallon increments. 4 of the 5 were great. One was so-so. I turned that into vinegar.....wife loves vinegar as much as wine.

Some were 2 wines, some 3. I encourage everyone to explore some new wines created by blending in small amounts and find something unique to their tastes.

Glad your hooked. It;'s a great hobby and passion.

The grapes have come from California, Chile, and Wisconsin. Most of the time I use a local distributor here in the Chicago area for the California and Chilean grapes (Midwest Wine Grape), but I've used other distributors too. For the northern grapes I went to Mitchell Vineyard (just south of Madison WI), and for the fruit wines I go to a local orchard. This is the 1st year I'm doing local/northern grapes, but it will not be the last. I really liked getting out in the vineyard to select my own grapes - and the wine seems to be turning out very nice.

Dan

Nice to meet you! I'm a neighbor not too far north of you. Looks like you have quite a bit of experience!

Welcome to our ever growing wine forum. Sounds lime youve been lurking and doing lots of homework and lots of wine work!! Glad to have you here!

Latest posts

Back