Behind the scenes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never done

:d second round of delabeling started (never ends):d
and getting a new lounge kit in production(LONG ISLAND ICE TEA) something new for the wife to try out,her and her fellow riders enjoy the and there so easy to make ,but i do like to tweak them up a bit by bring up the adv. to 1.010,the fpacs can with stand the added abv. and it still taste great.:i

Vineland wine comp.

VINELAND WINE COMP.:u

1ST PLACE FOR MY PIESPORTER
3RD PLACE FOR MY ZINFANDEL /POMEGRANATE............GREAT FESTIVAL,FOOD AND PEOPLE,LOTS OF OLD WORLD WINE MAKERS AND NEW,NEVER KNOW WHICH WAY THE JUDGES WILL GO,THE ARE SPONSORED BY NEW JERSEY CULTURAL SOCIETY USING THE CAL. DAVIS METHOD OF SCORING. :hug

Prepareing for the fingerlakes

:w THE sparkling wine is now married with a package of superkleer and a re honeymooning in a glass carboy,waiting for separation to take place(a short honeymoon).:db

:tzTHE long island ice teat is doing a solo stay at the glass carboy,waiting for farther engagements with the fpac.:spm

:ft 24 more bottles delabeled,24 sparkling wines bottles are in the bath waiting to go on stage,:ts

never ending:ft

Never enough time

Okay, at the races, finished bottles. The labeling and sanitizing ,to more cases at my back door.

Need to learn more about champagne corks, was the right size to use . Having little dilemma with the new floor corker pushes the course down but not all the way in , . Is this correct? Where are they supposed to stick it way out? I am confused. :a1E

R

Rememberring the difference

REMEMBER THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN K MET AND SORBATE,OR HOW OXIDATION INVADES THE WINE PROCESS?..................:wy

zesting

Good to see that 74% of you would try zest or have already tried this great opportunity to not only to explore winemaking but to take a good wine that has gone bad and enhance it or a wine that is okay and make it your own ...................:u

powerder or chips????

:seThis is a item I've seen a lot of comments on,what to use powder or chips,yet along logs????

:cI have had several PM'S on this subject and the only answer I can give is,,chips,or logs; use these in primary or secondary remembering the longer the soak the more tannins leach out of the wood,also the type of wood ,french,American,Ukrainian,temperament,little chard,heavy chard..that will also determine the over all of tanic acids leached out .:i
:se time and temp play a role in this event also.

:iNow powder on the other hand,increases the mouth feel over a period on time,with out adding any real flavor,it and yet some say it might,this is a great way of layering oak into a wine,I know that some of you have seen kits come out with the two different types as additives,layering ,this was subject I discuss in when good wines gone bad.look back its a neat trick fot us home winemakers to use .:wy

Remember

:re HAVE YOU POSTED THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN KM AND SORBATE????????????WHEN AND HOW TO USE THEN?????????????????????????:re

:se:se:se:se:se:se:se:se:se

Oxidation

:mny HAVE YOU READ WHEN GOOD WINES GONE BAD ????????????????:sh

OXIDATION AND THE PROBLEMS THAT ARISE FROM IMPROPER HANDLING?:sh

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE TERM (CAPITALIZATION )MEANS? IF NOT START YOURSELF A HANDBOOK AND PRINT EX CERTS....FOR REFERRAL:sh

Faults and defects

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF SOMEONE HAVING SKUNK TYPE ODORS,ONIONS OR RUBBER???????????:wy

MERCAPTANS,ARE PRODUCED IN WINE BY THE REACTION OF HYDROGENSULFIDE WITH OTHER WINE COMPONENTS SUCH AS ETHANOL OR SULFUR CONTAINUNG AMINO ACIDS,SUCH AS METHIONINE. THEY CAN BE FORMED IF FINISHED WINE IS ALLOWED PROLONGED CONTACT WITH THE LEES. THIS CAN BE PREVENTED BY RACKING THE WINE.MERCAPTANS HAVE VERY LOW SENSORY THRESHOLD,WITH LEVELS ABOVE CAUSING ONION,RUBBER AND SKUNK ODORS.:wy
THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR IN THIS PROCESS WE CALL WINE MAKING ,EVEN THOUGH THE PROCESS IN IT'S SELF IS SIMPLE,YET MUCH CAN GO WRONG..IT TAKES TIME AND EXPERIENCE AND ABOVE ALL PATIENCE...........:wy

Problems with the pump?

PART OF THE REASON i HAVEN'T BEEN ON THIS THREAD IS THAT I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY SINK PUMP AND WASN'T ABLE TO BUY ONE ,PARTY DO TO SUPER STORM SANDY, I ALSO DO HEATING AND ITS BEEN A BIT HECTIC LATELY,WITH INSTALLING NEW SYSTEMS,BUT THE PUMP IS NOW BACK IN LINE MOST OF THE NEW SYSTEMS ARE IN AND WILL LET THE WINE WORK FLOW....GETTING A PLAN TOGETHER IS THE FIRST LINE OF BUSINESS TO DEAL WITH,THERE IS A LOT TO DO AND WITH THE HOILDAYS AND THE WEATHER MY LIFE GETS A LITTLE CONFUSING..

WILL CONTINUE SOON...:gn

Pump complete

NOW THE WORK CAN BEGIN AGAIN.:slp

:mnyLETS CHECK BACK AND SEE WHAT OR WHERE WE WERE.

1.SANITATION
2.PLANNING YOUR PROCESS
3 GOOD PREPARATION OF SUPPLIES
4. UNDERSTAND THE TIMING
5. BOTTLING PROCESS
6. OVERALL EXECUTION

HAVING ALL THAT IN MIND AND A PLAN SET FORTH, LET THE WORK BEGIN.:ib

Mechanisms

:b Well, the weather's going warm and the winter season seems to be a stop ,. This gave me the chance to go back down to wine cellar and start cleaning bottles. Yes, that ongoing sure that all this have to do .. I try not to let me be such a chore bottles have been soaking for a while . They were not a problem you are ready to go ,but down and put a DVD into the player, and started cleaning the labeling bottles, usually soaking my bottles and a 15 gallon container was 11 tablespoons of be bright or another oxygen oxygenating cleaner, remember what we talked about sanitation this in the beginning everything it touches on has to be sanitized not just cleaned knowingly doing this long as I have you are always prepared for whatever ,mmay come your way. Have a very good setup for working utility sink with the spray head and the stationary power all my setup is portable I have learned the portability gives you ease in manufacturing, one this case processing.:b

:b Once I have a group of the D labeled I once again sanitized the inside puts one tree dry , then I take one extra step I put them in my dishwasher let them do a quick light watch . To some this may seat seem extensive and not necessary and they really correct , but to me . It is part of my process in which you have something that works for you stick with it ,:b at last count I have close to 80 cases of D labeled ready to go bottles.:ts

Champaign at last

At last, I finally got the bottle my champagne, added the list of the dexterous to it, it was clear bottle but plastics corked it, wire caged it down, I am no limits it prefer the six weeks before I put the final seals on labels case anything pops . I do not want to be a disaster some playing it safe . There are no crates and actually going to set them outside covered .

Also today I bottled my vignoles, this is from juice from Walker's and make an excellent product always full flavored from forward easy to make and a pleasure to drink , is not that what winemaking is all about?

Merry Christmas to all and happy New Year's:hny2:hny2:hny2:hny2:hny2:hny2:hny2:hny2:hny2:hny2:hny2:hny2O

Things to remember

:wy Things to remember, what is the difference between potassium metabolic sulfite and potassium sorbate ? This is for the new members and for some of the ones who cannot remember .:wy

:try Potassium metabolic sulfite is a common wine or must additive, , where forms sulfur dioxide this . Both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing and acts as a potent antioxidant , protecting both the color , and the delicate flavors of wine .:wy

:try Typical dosage is 1/4 teaspoon potassium metabolic sulfite or 6 gallon bucket of must prior to fermentation , and a half a teaspoon per 6 gallon batch a bottling ...... Po assium metabolic sulfite:wy po
:try Potassium sorbate, is used to inhibit molds, and yeast, and wine. Also known affectionately as wine stabilizer, potassium sorbate reduces sorbate acid which I added to the wine . It serves two purposes. When active fermentation has ceased and the wine is racked for the final time after clearing, potassium sorbate will render any surviving yeast incapable of multiplying. y Yst living at that moment can continue fermenting as residual sugar into CO2 and alcohol,
but when they dieknow Nice will be present to cause future fermentation. . When wine is sweet andbefore bottling , potassium sorbate is used to prevent re-fermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabolic sulfite . is primarily used with sweet wines, sparkling wines, and some hard ciders but may be added to table wines which exhibit difficulty in maintaining clarity after finding. :wy

Download, posted up an area we can read at will remember two major components and winemaking and how they work with each other and the one , REMEMBER.:try

Long Island iced tea kit

:try This is another one the THOSE party wine kits that MY wife and her girlfriends just loved. although this is the first time I made this one very interesting to find out. The combination of liquors that actually go into a long island ice tea, there is gin, spiced rum, and vodka, along with some other things .. My wife HAS a lady friend WHO IS a bartender in a very prominent restaurant here in South Jersey ,she was over Christmas and this stuff is ready ., so I asked her to taste it for me and give me her thoughts ,. She said it really hit the mark. She was super surprised that it was a wine base and that the only thing I did not serve with it some kind of fruit and that they use at the bar. It is remarkable , the wonderful world of chemistry . These people can come up with these aspects of flavor and taste profiles ,is very cool well to say the least . My next venture is an Orchard breeze Cosmo, this is one I was absolute favorites. It comes in 3 gallon batches I'll combined2 KITS together and make six, just as easy has anyone tried these ?:try

Last edited:
Remember

:slpThe difference between sanitation and cleaning
The difference between kmet and sorbate
The partnerships of wine with each other in blending
Yeast and its role of oxygen in the winemaking process
Things to remember.................:slp

Planning

THE VERY FIRST ITEM OF BUSINESS IN PLANNING,WHAT TYPE WINE STYLE,WHAT TYPE YEAST IS BEST FOR THAT STYLE,IS THE TOOL BOX READY WITH FRESH SUPPLIES,ARE THE TOOLS AND CARBOYS CLEANED AND SANITIZED ,HAVE i THOUGHT OUT THE THE FLOW PROCESS,DO i HAVE THE CORRECT BOTTLES, ,EITHER BOUGHT,DE LABELED OR SANITIZED READY TO GO,CORKS TO THE READY WHICH TYPE TO USE,SEALS, AND WHAT ABOUT LABELS WILL THEY BE FULL FINISH OR BASIC AVERY ADDRESS LABELS,WHATS THE TEMPERATURE IN THE WINE MAKING AREA,LOTS TO THINK ABOUT, BUT WHEN YOU PLAN YOUR WORK ,YOU CAN THEN WORK YOUR PLAN,IT'S EASY....:mny AND SO MUCH MORE FUN.:mny

January is my meeting

:D

January, is the beginning of the year for our South Jersey winemakers. Taditionally January meeting is held at my place this year . The start the year off with the subject of the process, what I mean by that is actually process that we make the very beginning to the very end .:wy

When you think of the one process. We think of? well for me it starts in the very beginning of the process and that is what type of wineto anticipate making ? , so let's just say this year I intend to make a couple of dry whites a young red and peach for wine . :wy
I
The next thing I have to take a look at is what type of yeast no good with what I intend to make, and what yeast do I hdo I have in? is the date code still correct? duet have the right type of yeast is suitable for the winds that I'm making ? :wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy

OkaySo now I know what type of wine I wish to make and I know what type of yeastI'm going to meet with that now starts the process,next a look at my tool chest . :wy

january's wine club meeting

:u this was a big day for our wine club,it was a day of moving into the future and letting go of the past.:u

:uWE HAVE BEEN IN A STEADY DECLINE FOR A WHILE NOW IN MEMBERSHIP AND WITH TOM BEING SICK THE ADMINISTRATIVE ENDS DROPPED OUT OF THE BOTTOM.:u
:uWE NEED A NEW DIRECTION,ALL GOOD THINGS DO COME TO A N END,BUT NOT JUST NOW.:u

:u HAVE BEEN WORKING BEHIND THE SENS WITH TWO OF OUR MEMBERS AND FINDING JO
INT WAYS OF MOVING EITHER FORWARD OR IMPLODING
,i DON'T LIKE GIVING UP,SO i CHOSE TO DO SOMETHING VERY CONSTRUCTIVE ABOUT IT.:u

:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u ENTER THE VINE LAND WINE FESTIVAL:u

THE LAST FOR YEARS i HAVE ENTERED AND ALWAYS LET MY CALLING CARD,THIS YEAR THEY ANSWERED,THEY W9ULD LIKE ME(US) TO TAKE CHARGE AND EXPAND THE CONTEST.(GREAT).:u

WITH THIS IN MIND, MY TOPIC OF DISCUSSION FOR THIS MEETING WAS,PLANNING YOUR WINE MAKING.:u
\
:u SANITATION,WHAT TYPE WINE YOUR CHOOSING?,WHAT TYPE YEAST WOULD BE BEST TO USE,THE MEETING WAS MORE WELL CONSTRUCTED WITH HAND OUTS ON THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN K-MET AND SORBATE ,CAPITALIZATION AND BACKSWEETNING ALONG WITH RED STARS CHARTAND LALVINS YEAST PROFILE CHART.:u

:uTHE MEETING HAD STRUCTURE AND WAS RECEIVED VERY WELL,SHOWED MY TOOL BOX OF COMPONANTS TO HAVE ON HAND FROM POWDERED OAK TO 2LB. BAGS OF K-MET TO PACHAGES OF SUPERKLEER.:u

:uFINALLY THE CHEMISTRY WAS RIGHT AND THE RESPONSE FROM THE GROUP WAS FLOWING WITH QUESTIONS,THEN WE WENT INTO NEW BUSINESS.:u

:u I EXPLAINED MY FEELING ABOUT THE GROUPS PERFORMANCE OVER ALL AND THE RESPONSE WAS NOT AS ASPECT ED, AND THE FACT THAT VINE LAND HAD MADE ME AN OFFER TO TAKE CHARGE OF AND EXPAND THE WINE COMPETITION AND THE RESPONSE WAS EXCELLENT ,TWO OF THE LADIES IN OUR GROUP ALONG WITH MY APPROVAL SET UP A FACEBOOK SITE (MOVING US INT A NEW ERROR OF COMMUNICATIONS)OVERALL THE MEETING WAS THE MOST COMMUNICATIVE WE HAD AND THE GROUND WORK IN NOW SET UP FOR US AS A GROUP TO STAY TOGETHER AND MOVE FORWARD,THE VINE LAND STATEMENT FROM ME WAS(I'M GOING TO DO THIS IF YOU WISH TO JOIN ME IT WILL TAKE THIS WINE GROUP IN A WHOLE DIFFERENT DIRECTION THIS YEAR,BUT I'm GOING) TO A PERSON THEY STATED ME TO....WINE MAKING GROUPS ARE NOT WITHOUT THERE PROBLEMS INTERNALLY,BUT FOR THE MOST PART I WOULDN'T CHANGE THIS GROUP,BUT SOME TIMES UP NEED TO STIR THE POT UP AND SEE WHAT VEGETABLES FLOAT TO THE TOP.:u

:u SO THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF THE NEW SOUTH JERSEY WINE MAKERS .SO IF YOU LIVE IN SOUTH JERSEY AND WANT TO BELONG TO A PROGRESSIVE AND ON THE MOVE WINE CLUB AND WANT OT LEARN .EMAIL ME..............:u

Back