Behind the scenes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being behind

As you know i haven't written anything on this thread for a while, if truth be told I went away . Came home got sick and fell behind my air-conditioning work ,. I have kits pending, my fresh juice. needs to be taken care it's has been sitting. I have from other people's kits which have been sitting on and have not started. with a Little luck I'll start this week . Until then ............................. stay tuned........:ib

Last edited:
Getting started

Finally, a moment to myself right downstairs turn on the lights put on the music ,then thought to myself what do I do first .

piesporter yes this is an exceptionally good tasting wine even without the fpacs elderberries upfront added to this wine in the fpacs and only enhance more I'm going to put this 3 second finding so that it is crystal clear , this one was well worth waiting for .

:c
Next, pineapple , , banana Riesling a party pack a fun wine , one that my wife will enjoy this is a four-week CRU kit . The specific gravity started at 1.06 ......... I boosted up to 1.010.. R That fpacs can handle the alcohol and treated well-balanced wine , if not for us the just not a little to sweet . :gn

Next From California trio blanco, this is an limited-edition kit the specific gravity started that 1.010 , thisthis is also be six we.:wy

Lastly, unusual kit then making for a friend of mine this as a Christmas present that his wife ball for him at Christmas.

:c It's a , tropical Riesling to white wine base party kit. The specific gravity started of 1.06 this is also a four-week kit. it came with 30 corks and 30 seals as well as 30 labels the only thing didn't come with was bottles............. it also has a fpac.........:d

Will at last I got something going, I'll keep you informed :fsh

E

friends and wine

YOU know went you make wine at home and your friends are aware,you never have a shortage of bottles.last night one of my acquaintance came over and dropped of 4 cases of precleaned bottles,and left after a while with a couple of fulled ones.HAS this ever happened to you? I'll bet so.THAT'S the nature of this hobby..:i

Last edited:
finally wine time

Finally, I got down to the basement are my three wines were fermenting or done actually, racket down to carboys, here is the first results. . The banana viognier has good color and indecent alcohol, this will have an fpacs added to it .. The trio Blanc is owned wine and doesn't taste bad already, the tropical kit from Amazon.com ,. I don't believe has not alcohol base even though it started that 1.06 and fermented out very light and alcohol, once the fpacs is added to this wine going to taste and fruit juice and may have to be it up somehow. But at least I found scant our to invest in the wine .

That's what happens when your air conditioning and heating mechanic working for yourself and the phone rings off the wall, not complaining, mind you could some phases feast or famine but I like to make a steady effort, for the wine. I know there's a lot of you out there who feel the same way just not enough time. :tryW

moving forward I think!

Well its fathers day and no desire to do anything,so I went to the cellar anyway finished two dozen delabeled bottles, read for dishwasher ,made a pot of asian style cabbage soup,yummy,used ice wine as deglazer,just a very lazy day,hope your fathersday was as relaxing.:hug

What time is it ?

USUALLY WHEN THE WINE STATES ITS TIME TO MOVE ME,ITS THE CORRECT TIME,GIVE OR TAKE?

SO THIS SUNDAY I HAD TIME TO DO JUST THAT ,RACKED THE FOLLOWING ,5 GALLONS OF BANANA VIONGIER,5 GALLONS OF TRIO BLANCA AND 5 GALLONS ON TROPICAL FRUIT ,(THIS WAS THE AMAZON PURCHASE KIT),THIS KIT DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH ABV. FOR ME AND AFTER ADDING THE FPAC,NOT ENOUGH FLAVOR,I'LL LET IT SIT FOR A DAY OR SO AND REVISIT IT,THIS WAS A FRIENDS KIT ,HE GOT FOR XMAS.

FINISH WORK;RACKED AND BOTTLED,2011 RIESLING,THE FINISH WAS OVER ALL GOOD ,SLIT BITE TO THE BACK OF THE PALATE,CITRUS AND CLEAN FINISH JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF ABV..............PIESPORTER,EXCELLENT FINISH TART/SWEET AND VERY DISTINCTIVE,FINISH CLEAN ,VERY HAPPY WITH THIS ONE WILL ,DO THIS AGAIN.

THE YIELDS WERE 26 BOTTLES,21 BOTTLES AND 26 BOTTLES RESPECTIVELY..CORKED SEALED AND LABELED...............A GOOD MORNINGS WORK...:try

On hold

VERY BUSY WITH MY AC WORK TO DO TO MUCH AT PRESENT ALSO LOST MY MODEM,USING A FRIENDS COMPUTER TO DO THIS ,UNTIL MY NEW ONE ARRIVES FROM VERSIONS,,THIS WEEK...:ft

Never enough time

:dbNEVER ENOUGH TIME IN THE SUMMER TO DO ALL THAT'S REQUIRED OF YOU,HAVE YOU EVER FOUND THAT OUT TO BE TRUE. WELL THE RETURN BOTTLES CONTINUE TO ROLL IN AND I"VE RECEIVED 60 OR SO JUST WAITING FOR ME TO DISROBE THEM,AND SEND THEM ON ANOTHER JOURNEY,BUT WHEN?STILL HAVE OT BOTTLE THE BANANA VIOGNIER AND THE AMAZON WINE,YET ALONE THE CROP FROM ITALY LAST YEAR...................NEVER ENOUGH TIME...:tz

Finally time!

Now when you know, the gods of the vine finally gave me time go down to the cellar do work. I first filtered ,bottled, labeled and cork the Amazon tropical wine kit . At first I thought this kit was never going worked out too well, although I did add sugar to bring up the alcohol content the flavor in the end worked itself out ,. Kind of fruity with the Riesling finish remember this came with seals,labels and corks, not a bad package.
E

Next, the banana , pineapple viognier . had an excellent finish this is a kit. I would recommend to anybody, to do for party wine . . This will definitely make your taste buds happy. I guarantee it . :gn As always, there's a lot of cleanup , pre-work to the bottling aspect for those of you who do it on a larger scale understand what I'm talking about, Im fully equipped to do this production in my own way and still it takes the time to get it all done . Cleaned up ready for the next departure .................. specially on sanitation end.:se

Last edited:
Aging gracefully

Which wine to age?
There are number of aspects . Consider when determining which are the best wines to age , the most important of which are grape varieties or wine style , , vintage characteristics and the nature of the wine kit 9 concentrate, particular concentrate or pure juice kit ).
A wine's ability – is directly related to its natural properties. wine high and passes, phenols will stand up to extended aging better than the wine that is low in these components . acids in one act as a preservative provide something for the other harsh components , like tannin, to bind to and fall out from aging wine . . Acidity is the one property shared by age – were the Reds and whites. while white wines are comparatively low in cans and the phenols responsible for color , . There are still many white wine varieties and styles that can age extensive .

Why wineis my favorite really doesn't matter what style is easier for me to drink and digest , I think that holds true with a lot of people . . I also think a good wine can be well aged wine drinker young , but will go on with which wines to age........... to be continued:mnyP
V

Lounge wines

:u Have you noticed, the many different flavored wines and lounge wines that are out there ,such as the cosmopolitan, piña colada, and Long Island iced tea. These are just some of the flavors but the winemakers are coming out with to extend inventory, me myself I just enjoy making these party wines but my wife, whose equestrian has lady friends who ride with her Monday through Sunday and afterwords they took the glass, and all of these party wines are part of the favorites , including strawberry white Zinfandel, Seville orange sangria, Blackberry Pinot Noir, raspberry Shiraz, banana- pineapple viognier just to name a few. Build yourself sell stuck in a rut, keeping with the basic wine family is a whole other world out there expander your palate ,expander mine and share our world of wine making with others .:sm

Next venture

I'm going to going to start. I coffee port ,will follow the directions exactly as I go along I might make a change or two . I know that sounds contradictory but I like coffee drinks and have a great coffee extract , I made from fresh coffee beans and Everclear which has set for over a year and is ready to go ................... let you know I start this:pic

Out with the old

Something different on the menu ,. I recently decided to change up my computer and television in the basement ,. I upgraded the old TV to a new flatscreen and new computer along with wireless printer .. I know that this doesn't sound like much two people out there her computer literate, but I'm very much not in that class... I'm hoping that when this is all said and done I will be able to start making videos that's my goal .:slp

Sanitation and winemaking

Where here's a question you can answer yourself ,. Have you been displeased with any of the wine made lately look no further than your kitchen sink for local explanation .and said and rightly so that 90% the winemaking faults and failures can be traced to poor cleaning or faulty sanitation.

The most common symptom of a wine that was made unless unsanitary conditions is a wine that has off taste or and off older. Under the worst conditions, the wine may be so bad that they thought out-and that would be a shame.
So let's look at the turns . We are dealing with ,you should understand that sanitation not the same thing as cleaning, sterilization. Sanitizing means reducing or removing bacteria and other undesirable microorganisms the heat or chemical means .

Cleaning – – involves moving visible dirt residue from your equipment , sterilization means that everything ( germs worms and personality ) is killed, , besides – it is a realistic or even desirable to create a sterile state during the winemaking process.

:try
Achieving good sanitation isn't rocket science, just using common sense. for instance anything that touches the wine should be sanitize , in utensil it comes in contact with the wine should be sanitize , remember the difference team sanitizing and cleaning sterilization . :wy
Let me give you a little breakdown on how I see it , sort of like a written process, inspect equipment , cleaning equipment , sanitize equipment , rents equipment, use equipment, rinse equipment , cleaning equipment , sanitize equipment and dry then then.
What should I sanitize......... To b continued :wy letS

back online

:mnyHello, I've been off line for while trying to set up my new system in my man cave. Finally got my computer move down to the basement and everything is set up wireless. Had a hard time reinstating Dragon NaturallySpeaking ,but it's all done now and I'm ready to roll .:se:se:se:se:se:se:se:se:se

Sanitation elements

:mny Were back, when we left off your talk about what needed to be sanitized and this is for you new winemakers , us oldies in several ways doing but in general these are something chemicals you can use to sanitize and 3 different methods , cleaning, and sanitizing and sterling they are all different .

:hug So let's pick up where we left off first the most basic style of sanitization is boiling ,this is used by home canning people all the time. I'm just some cases with some items it's okay for winemaking is only a small part of what I use.

:rdo Chemical number one, chlorine, I can hear the Puritans from across the country saying no no no no no . according an extremely useful sanitized but it must be handled with care and a bit of knowledge soda doesn't give your problem down the line . I use chlorine my primary stages of cleaning and sanitizing my bottles , but that's all. somewhere in a thread back in our archives I had mentioned how I the mighty label and the reply came back that was a bit expensive wasteful but because I use chlorine as a disinfectant and know how to handle in proportions that I can control it is a great tool for me .
E
:rdo B-BRITE is a formulated sanitizing powdered made specifically for winemaking and beer making industry. it's clean with activated , it does not contain chlorine or by sulfates. it also removes fermentation residues , so I recommend towards effective in cleaning and sanitize , that combination is hard to beat A

:rdo One step,is another great sanitizing cleaner, it also uses oxygenating cleaners to d to do its, and it works well both the latter and one set is good rinsing before use .

:rdocampden tablets , these little tablets ( potassium meta-bisulfite is the active ingredient ) works wonders ; not only do they clean must prior to pitching yeast , by adding crushed campden tablets to water also makes a great sanitation for winemaking equipment . and thand there's no need to rent your equipment it to sanitizing with this.

:rdo Potassium metabolic sulfite powder , you can also buy test and metabolic sulfite and out of form , usually sold a home winemakers in 4 ounce bags 1 pound bags. this chemical works well as a sanitizing agent because it is a bacteria inhibitor . sensors no inner materials in this form unlike others you don't need to add a lot o f crystals to make a great sanitizing solution
I
To be continued:br

wine invasion

:HBThis is the time of the year when the California wines and the Italians invade the wine Sean with their wares.

:try at the last winemakers meeting at Gino pintos in hammonton,mike discuss,that this season was a quality season for the California wine juice producers,stating the season and the climate were perfect and how they were expecting a banner harvest.:try

this year however,I'm going to do the Canadian juices,he also brings in Vidal,Riesling and late harvest Vidal along with concord .,as long as the finances hold out I elected to do the Riesling,excellent from Canada,late harvest Vidal and one I have never done before concord. :HB
still have in the wings to make ,my coffee port,(ya STILL)long island ice tea ,and Cosmo along with the millennia sparkling wine .....got my work cut out for me :dg

Things to remember

My wine making area I have a cork board and on a place various items, the most important of these items that are pinned to the board is something I learned early on the difference between .

No sometimes how we know something should be but our mind doesn't perceive it that way or we see the written word and yet we kind of sometimes don't understand it but we think we do , or just gets confused with something else that's close to it . will try this on for size especially all you newbies out there this is important for you , if I were you I would do like I did print this out . To a wall somewhere someplace we could always walk by and take a look .

(1)
Capitalization, is the process of adding sugar to unfermented grape must in order to increase the alcohol content after fermentation . the technique was developed by a French chemist IT was named after contrary to popular belief . the process does not make the WINE sweeter
. BUT only artificially inflates the alcohol content.. . Additionally, the sugar is capitalize. . The wine cannot be taste.. :try
(2)
Potassium metabolic sulfate, is a common wine or must additive , where forms sulfur dioxide gas or S02 . this both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as a potential antioxidant , protecting both the color, and delicate flavors of the wine.

Typical dosage is a quarter teaspoon potassium metabolic sulfate for six GALLONS OF must prior to fermentation , and a half a teaspoon or 6 gallon bucket at bottling .
Wine making Equipment is sanitized by spraying with a 1% solution potassium metabolic sulfate .

(3)
Potassium sorbate, is used to inhibit mold , and yeast in the wine. also known as affectionately as wine stabilizer , potassium sorbate produces sorbic acid when added to the wine .it serves two purposes. when active fermentation has ceased and the wine is racked for the final time after clearing, potassium sorbate will render any surviving these incapable of not multiplying . each living at that moment can continue fermenting any sugar into CO2 and alcohol , but when they die no new lease will be present to cause future fermentation. way wine is sweetened before bottling potassium survey is used to prevent the fermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabolic sulfate . it is primarily used with sweet wines, sparkling wines and some hard ciders but may be added to table wines which exhibit difficulty in maintaining clarity in finding. A

(FINALLY)
Print this out, put it someplace where you could see it,we'll pass by IT, where you'll take notice of it, on a daily basis,TILL it sinks in. two key components In YOUR wine making toolbox , capitalization a process to learn correctly. .....................print it...:wyTHE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN KMET AND SORBATE

Last edited:
Peach ice wine

Well, finally got Tresa's, peach ice wine kit ,bottled, cork ,sealed and label .. This turned out to be a very nice package, we used white seals, on hock bottles and added the translucent labels that came with the kit. It finished out exceptionally tasty the clear beautiful color and even had good aroma, for ice wine kits this was truly a nice one . :hugT

The Wine group is also getting ready for the Vineland amateur wine tasting contest. I'm not sure how many will enter from our group, Tresa is going to enter her peach ice wine, I'm going to enter my Niagara 2006, the from amarone 2010, zinfandel pomegranate from 2009, piesporter from 2011, and last but not least since: French colombard from 2009, will see what happens..................:pic

never done

second round of delabeling started (never ends):d
and getting a new lounge kit in production(

Latest posts

Back