Barrel racking / filling wand with pump?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good barrel racking / filling wand with pump (for vat to barrel transfers)? Where to buy it?

Last edited:
I am not sure what your question is ?

I do make custom bungs in order to fill from an open container or carboy into a barrel.

Or there are just diaphragm pumps out there - shur-flo pumps that will transfer only

hey steve.
if you are just looking for a long racking/syphon tube, you can get anywhere.
just add a spring loaded bottling wand to the end and your done.
steve.
just opened a Fonseca 40 Year port.....it is beyond good...i felt like a port today.

hey steve.
steve.
just opened a Fonseca 40 Year port.....it is beyond good...i felt like a port today.

I think he was looking at more barrel racking rather than bottle racking

How's that port ? That is my favorite !!!

hey steve.
steve.

Holy cow! Do you realize that when that port was started, there was still a authoritarian dictatorship that was ruling Portugal!? Incredible. I bet it was goooooood. (The port, that is, not the dictatorship.)

59 gal. Open to suggestions. The vat has a hose hook-up, so now I need some suction and a gun/wand with flow control.

Cool, thanks for the links.

So if I hooked a barrel topping gun on to a hose hooked up to that pump and turned the lever/knob on the gun to stop the flow, would the pump sense the cessation of outflow and turn off or would I cause a dangerous pressure build up since the must has no where to go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks for the links.

So if I hooked a barrel topping gun on to a hose hooked up to that pump and turned the lever/knob on the gun to stop the flow, would the pump sense the cessation of outflow and turn off or would I cause a dangerous pressure build up since the must has no where to go?

The pump is Auto shutoff pressure switch reacts to outlet pressure and interrupts power when it reaches the preset shutoff pressure level

see link

the port was excellent, I had to use my port tong, but got nice clean break on the neck...i put in bottle and used my wine saver on it..

This does not have the ability for variable speeds - just pressure and you can find similiar ones that have different flow ratings

I like the pump you sent me the link to on Amazon, and I think I can forgo the variable speed, but I would like to find one that can pump even more gph. Know of one like that, that have the pressure sensor, but can maybe do 200+ gph?

Thanks!

You mentioned before going into 60 gallon container - With the pump mentioned before it would take approx 15 minutes or so

There is also this option as well - air operated diaphragm pump - but this
option is much more costly

A vacuum pump should be able to get it done in approx 10 - 12 minutes using a 1/2 '' hose with the right equipment

Sorry, haven't had a chance to call yet.

Yeah, I need to cut down on time, because I'm going to be acquiring more barrels, and thus, need to do more liquid from the fermenting tank to the barrels in less time. What are some good vacuum or air pumps?

I am not sure what other winemakers use professionally ?

Hopefully someone will step in and talk about it

Latest posts

Back