5 gal wood barrel recommendation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Balazs drums do appear to be a higher quality, I had zero leakage/seepage with it, a 40L/7.9 gallon barrel. The Gibbs barrel, a 10 gallon barrel, had some seepage but not to the point of any drips. Here’s a couple pics.
View attachment 107275View attachment 107276
Jim, was looking at both options for my first barrel purchase; The balazs comes in 7-gal, which I thought was an odd size. So, im leaning towards 4 - 10gal barrels from Gibbs. Was also considering 2 - 5gal for some flexibility; Is the quality of the balazs much better? Any leaks in the Gibbs barrel? Any feedback appreciated. Tks-
Jim, thank you for your reply. The pictures are very helpful. I prefer a higher quality barrel, but also think that I should stick with a 10-gal barrel size. My typical batches are between 12gal - 14gal, and usually have 4-6 going at a time. With a 10-gal barrel, I should have enough excess for evaporation and topping. Since I dont see a 10-gal from balazs, im going to keep looking. I also prefer French and Hungarian oak over American. I just bottled 300, mostly Italian blends, from last year and the wines are tasting very good. However, there is a noticeable difference when i open a bottle, decant, and wait an hour or two before drinking. My winemaker brain is telling me that my wine is too closed and would benefit from micro oxidation. So, im making this a priority. I have about 50-gal, 2-Super Tuscan & 2-Bordeaux in glass carboy from this years crush now starting mlf. I plan to complete mlf in glass carboy and then age in barrels if everything works out.

Anyone know if Vadai in CA is still in business? They used to sell a whole range of Hungarian oak barrels. I've had very good luck with them.

Greg

The local distillery has several 10-gallon barrels, and they are holding two for me. They are American white oak and housed Bourbon from August of 2019 until August of 2023. They were emptied a couple months ago and placed outside with sealed bungs. They brought them inside a few days ago to dry storage to keep them out of the elements.

Is there anything I should really look for when I go to pick them up? I have a lot to read about rinsing, rehydrating, filling with a holding solution until I’m ready…

Is there anything I should really look for when I go to pick them up? I have a lot to read about rinsing, rehydrating, filling with a holding solution until I’m ready…
Pour out any liquid inside ... no point in wasting good whiskey! Or bad whiskey for that matter.

Then rinse well -- I use a power washer in between fills. Empty it, and fill to the brim. The barrel is likely to absorb at least some water -- hopefully it won't leak, and if it does, soaking will swell it. Let it soak at least overnight, or until it stops absorbing water.

It's probably safe to use at that point, although you can use a barrel cleaner. I like Barrel Oxyfresh.

The local distillery has several 10-gallon barrels, and they are holding two for me. They are American white oak and housed Bourbon from August of 2019 until August of 2023. They were emptied a couple months ago and placed outside with sealed bungs. They brought them inside a few days ago to dry storage to keep them out of the elements.

If you have a tub or Brute big enough to hold the barrel, you can soak the inside and outside. I have a huge galvanized tub that I put the barrel in, fill the barrel with water and then fill the tub. Only half the barrel is submerged so I turn it after 12 to 24 hours. It may not be necessary but the barrels are good and watertight after the soak.

If you have a tub or Brute big enough to hold the barrel, you can soak the inside and outside. I have a huge galvanized tub that I put the barrel in, fill the barrel with water and then fill the tub. Only half the barrel is submerged so I turn it after 12 to 24 hours. It may not be necessary but the barrels are good and watertight after the soak.
I was lucky with my last one, as it sat for 5 months. It absorbed a few liters of water, but didn't leak a drop. Hopefully David will get a same result with his new barrels.

These are both wonderful… thank you! I can’t wait to start… I’ll let you know how it goes... I do have a huge tub that I usually use for the crusher, I bet it would work for a barrel... and I will definitely not waste the bourbon…!

These are both wonderful… thank you! I can’t wait to start… I’ll let you know how it goes... I do have a huge tub that I usually use for the crusher, I bet it would work for a barrel... and I will definitely not waste the bourbon…!
Post a picture of a loving father bathing his new borne barrel for the first time

:p

Midwest Barrels is having a Black Friday sale. 20% off small barrels.
I was just going to bring that myself, as I’ve been following them since you first mentioned them on this thread! Thanks again for the tip; I just ordered a 5 gallon whiskey barrel and will see how it goes.

I was just going to bring that myself, as I’ve been following them since you first mentioned them on this thread! Thanks again for the tip; I just ordered a 5 gallon whiskey barrel and will see how it goes.
I ordered two 15 gallon and I’m tempted to get another maple syrup 10 gallon. I have enough wine right now to keep them filled.

Assuming these fresh-dumped barrels are neutral (oak and bourbon/whiskey), what would be target times for adequate micro-oxygenation in a 5gallon? I know it depends on environmental conditions (humidity, temp), but curious about general timeline to expect results or to target barrel-aging a wine - a couple of months? I know many aim for a year in large barrels and at least 6 months in medium-sized ones.

Or is this an irrelevant question with the answer being, "as long as you can or want."

Or is this an irrelevant question with the answer being, "as long as you can or want."
That is my answer. A smaller barrel, due to the volume to interior surface area ratio, will work faster than a larger barrel, but there are too many variables to give you a good answer.

My barrels are ~55 liters (14+ US gallons) and I find 12 months works. I'd probably be satisfied with 9 months, but putting bottling when the following fall's wines are ready for barrel is a good schedule.

If I had a 23 liter barrel and was making kits, I'd initially target 6 months, but that's a (hopefully) educated guess.

I agree with Bryan. Just as the surface to volume has a relationship to drawing oak, I believe the same applies to the micro-oxygenation although maybe not to the same extreme. My barrels are all neutral 25, 30 and 50 liters and I have kept wine in them over year. Whether they were 25s or 50s I found no ill affects.

Latest posts

Back