Bag or Not to Bag

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Reaction score
Finally getting around to the grapes from last fall (had shoulder and elbow surgery) the grapes have been frozen. I have 2 five gallon buckets of destemmed Concords (Niece is going to stomp them) and am undecided about bagging them or not, never made with grapes before.

What are your thoughts on using straining bags for grapes?
Pro's or con's

TIA

The first few kits I made, I couldn't manage dumping the grape pack into the straining bag, so I threw it into the primary directly. Major PITA when it came time to rack. I am very happy to use bags now. I even started putting the oak chips in the bag, too.

Sour Grapes - that's they way I was leaning on this small batch, thanks.

Boatboy - Don't laugh but at this time I have an old lard/sausage press, will do small quanities at a time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, will bag it tomorrow and see how it goes. Thinking the pressed cake will be a nice addition to the compost pile too, except that it's frozen now, come on spring!

Thinking the pressed cake will be a nice addition to the compost pile too, except that it's frozen now, come on spring!

Mine from the fall was broken up and spread around the garden. I think not only are the skins good, but there may be all sorts of beneficial microbial stuff as well.

Back