Backsweetening after 7 months Bulk Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote Creek

Junior
Reaction score
I have a Blueberry that has been bulk aging for 7 months and had a F-pack added probably 6 months ago but also went through malo. My question is now, I tasted it and it needs a bit of sweetness added before bottling. It was campden tablet and sorbated when dry and then more Camden about 3 months ago. My question is now can I added more campden and back sweeten a bit, let sit in carboy a week to make sure nothing starts up and them bottle?
Thank,
Clark

Sure sounds like a plan. Think I would let it sit for more than a week, tho. 2 reasons, one is that I am kinda lazy and just don't get around to things too fast anymore. The other is after that much time it could take a little longer to start refermenting as there should not be a bunch of live yeast in there, but they can reproduce and make a bunch more. I have never done it, but have read on here that if you sorbate then mlf it will give you a geranimum smell or taste. Did that happen?? Just curious, Arne.

I also am curious. I'm wondering why MLF (malo) on a blueberry wine? Very little malic acid in blueberry wine. How did it effect the taste? Also how did MLF start after adding campden tablets? I've always been told MLF won't happen if SO2 level is above 20ppm. I've often thought about trying MLF on blackberry wine because they are high in malic acid, but read you can't really sweeten after MLF. Now I'm wondering if it is something I could try one day.

I am sorry, I should have been a little more clear. I did campden and sorbate but I think the sorbate must have been no good from the store because when I ask on FVW what was goin on with my wine that it looked like it was fermenting again most everyone told me that it was malo(wild) that my so2 levels had probably dropped to much before I added more campden and it had started up. I keep all my wine in side my house and at the time it had started back up we were having really hot weather and the house was warm. I was assured that this was ok and the wine wouldn't KILL me if I drank it. But was told no to add anymore sorbate for the reasons u have stated. Was told of a chemical to stop malo if I wanted to or let it play out. I haven't seen anything in over a month so I think it is done.

I wonder if it wasn't just finishing fermenting. If it warmed up that could of been the trigger to restart it. If you had sulfited and sorbated it, the live yeast cells could still finish the ferment if conditions became just right. IF it is done now, check the s.g. for a few days, you could sweeten a little and see if it referments. Or you could sulfite it and add a little more sorbate and sweeten it. The last way i can think of is bottle it and sweeten it a little as you drink it. That way you don't have to worry at all about a referment. BTW, a referment in the bottle can be a wonderful thing. Wine all over, big mess to clean up. Wife unhappy. Don't ask how I know. LOL, Arne.

I would wait longer than a week before bottling - sweetening could have some sediment fall out.

I would give it a month - if still clear - then bottle it.

Latest posts

Back