back woods hillbilly

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@mismost , I grew up very similarly, school of hard hunting knocks, hunting and fishing kept me out of a lot of trouble as a youngster. I'm an avid deer and duck hunter and have a 600 acre ranch to do it on.
My bestest hunting buddy is my 9 year old son, who's trained properly and safer with a gun than most adults I know.
My wife hunts and has taken some nice deer in the last few years, my 16 year old daughter got her first deer with a bow last year.
I've pretty much traded the rifle for a bow when deer hunting, but love to get after a big green head mallard with the shotgun.

Nary a mishap in this responsible gun owners home either, owning guns doesn't make you a gun "nut"!!

when I became disabled from osetos arthritis , I couldn't raise my hands above my nipples, I sold all my land , couldn't do nothing no more I kept 19 acres my garden area and my Dexter cattle, one day while getting some fuel I heard an old man complaining about getting small ricks of wood, he was in his late 70's and was wearing oxygen, I talked to him a while and told him I cound not do almost anything, but I would try to bring him some wood it took me an entire week to cut split and load, I was happy I was alone in the woods because i'm not the least bit ashame to say during that first week I had tears in my eyes snot running down my chin, but I took him a rick an one half,he ask how much I told him nothing I needed the range of movement, when I left I found $25 dollars in my door pocket, so for 2 more years I cut an stacked his wood a few night logs the rest split to be carried by the elderly, by the end of the first winter I was cutting splitting a rick a hour, I grew up hauling hay and cutting fire wood, my sthil is 5.67 cubic inch, or also known as a sthil 066 not for consumer use write right on it, it's rated for a 4 foot bow bar, I use a 20 inch bar with flat bottom chain, I can cot a 8inch tree into so fast that when it sets down on the stump it catches the top chain, god I love that saw, I only cut for 2 winters for him because they amputated my right leg below the knee, the vacuum cover that holds my prosthetic on I go thru 4 to 5 a year, insurance is starting to *****, then they cut 1/3 off my other foot. I still cut with my saw, but just trees and brush around my fence line, and mess with my Dexter's, all are registered but for 2 moma cows who's babies end up in my freezer, just picked up my meat 2 days ago, and to day my other grade cow whom I was told was bred to an angus has a pure white face a black patch over both eyes and a tiny white tip on her tell, angus my but, lol, , a young heifer my other whom was the mother of my freezer meat had a month ago a solid black heifer she is pure blooded but the never registered her, I keep 2 grades for raising my farm fresh steaks, I'm slow and no longer in my youth but they give me reason to get up everyday, and sometimes I even get my blood pumping last week I went to open a couple pens by my head gate they were all grown up
half way thru one I don't know if I felt something, or heard something, but I froze I looked down an a copperhead was between my legs, before I could think what would be smart I had already drew my Ruger single ten and was faning the hammer between my legs, I did no get bit but I will freely admit I did have to find a place to sit down an res a bit, then went and got my nephew and tape measure , I always tell him to watch for snakes an like all young in one ear out the other, I sent him in the pen told him I lost my knife when I knew he was standing on the snake I said there it is between your feet, boy should of learned to play basketball I bet he cleared 4 feet screaming like well ya'll know,, no offence meant, I went and carried it out and I did not stretch the snake like I've seen others do before measuring them I just laid him out straight he was 33 inches, looked like I hit him 5 times,, once my shoe on my prostatic foot but not the foot aint got a clue where the other 4 hit, because in my rush I emptied my weapon, with out taking a steep, I feared if I tried to get away he might bite me and since one leg is fake I felt that even a 50/50 chance was not good enough, so I felt a chance of shooting myself better odds then getting bit, yet again the lord was with me yet again.
Dawg

@mismost , I grew up very similarly, school of hard hunting knocks, hunting and fishing kept me out of a lot of trouble as a youngster. I'm an avid deer and duck hunter and have a 600 acre ranch to do it on.
My bestest hunting buddy is my 9 year old son, who's trained properly and safer with a gun than most adults I know.
My wife hunts and has taken some nice deer in the last few years, my 16 year old daughter got her first deer with a bow last year.
I've pretty much traded the rifle for a bow when deer hunting, but love to get after a big green head mallard with the shotgun.

Nary a mishap in this responsible gun owners home either, owning guns doesn't make you a gun "nut"!!

Wow! if it were me with that snake, I would be telling folks how badly I needed a change of pants!

Amazing how you did get a kill shot on a snake considering you were in panic mode and no doubt hopping! Great shooting!

man i'm so screwed I went to the doctor today I found out to night I lost all my med's including dalotta, xenox. and flexiril jeze i'm am so screwed, my word is my pride, losing that stuff kills me, I can care less about doctors an police officers, I have failed, I am now nothing in my book, a mans word is his only true pride and I have failed myself, I can care less what doctors and cops think I only care what I care I an I am now in my book a total failure. I am no longer a worthy man, I have failed myself, F*** me I am nobody at all, jeeze.
puppy

Dawg,

You lost your meds? Did you misplace them?? Whacha mean..

BTW, Watch your language.. I took out the offending word....

Hey dawg, we all need a hand every now and then. It is clear you are more than willing to help others. It sounds like now is the time you could use some help. Reach out to family and friends and let them help you through this difficult time.

THANKS MAN,
I really appreciate you and all the rest on here this site helps give me peace of mind, today it is funny, YEARS,, from one big city to another to finally go home deep back into the sticks and BOOM,,, I now have a freeway 1/2 mile away it will be a long time before it gets to me but they have already 6 miles from me removed 1 of the 3 oldest highway bridges in Arkansas and finished a freeway bridge , man you buy away from the world, you spend your time just getting to that rocking chair an they bring what you left,, right to where you live, it's laugh or cry, and crying never helped no one, I just had a city flash back melt down yesterday, ,,
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH,,
Richard AKA Dawg::

Hey dawg, we all need a hand every now and then. It is clear you are more than willing to help others. It sounds like now is the time you could use some help. Reach out to family and friends and let them help you through this difficult time.

man, man, man, on top of everything I know have a stomach virus and can not get farther then 5 or 6 feet from a toilet, step back slow down, life's good all's good, please open stores I need a few bottles of Pepto-Bismol or some white ash from some oak charcoal... and i'm not building a fire that to far from the rest room. lol
Dawg

Dawg,

Sounds like you need a safe to lock your med in. Sometimes Smith and Wesson drop the ball.. :)

I know this can be upsetting, but try to not too stressed out about it. Is it possible that you could explain to your doctor that your meds got stolen and get another re-fill?? If that is possible, just get the refill and try not to let this get the better of you.

this is al my fault not S&W nor Winchester nor any one but me, and I already got a vault, see,, just me, oh well. life dishes it out I start to shovel,,
all's cool if things come then that just what it is,,
thank ya'll
Dawg

Dawg,

Sounds like you need a safe to lock your med in. Sometimes Smith and Wesson drop the ball.. :)

I know this can be upsetting, but try to not too stressed out about it. Is it possible that you could explain to your doctor that your meds got stolen and get another re-fill?? If that is possible, just get the refill and try not to let this get the better of you.

I've had an old Ruger Single Six for going on 40 years now. Best little plinking 22 pistol I owe, just look and point....it just seems to be attracted to tin cans and it'll dance them all over pasture fast as you thumb the hammer back. Sweet old gun.

Down here in the Texas Hill Country, those Dexter cattle are taking off like a brush fire. Lotta big places getting chopped into small places and the those Dexters are custom made for a small place. Last years 4H stock show had a about dozen entered. Pretty little critters, look like an Oreo cookie on four legs to me!

Hang in there Dawg. You gotta stick around just to see what happens next!

YEP my little brother next to me had one, very nice,, I can remember so far this year, the three copper heads was to and from the barn where my chickens, White Emblem Geese, and a few Dexter's, and they are some fine eating,,, man I need over this stomach thing, would love to be outside, got 2 bottles of ,,,,, Pepto-Bismol I need some white ash from a campfire, rained so much lately no dry twigs. at all. guess I could cut a fir 2x4 and burn that should work like oak don't no, lite tight, dark loose, OIT, welp I cant even go near my wines, but I did have a nephew put 3 bottles in the fridge, least he'd better hope he did, I anit eaten since yesterday, but drinking tons of water and my little pink bottles,
Dawg,

I've had an old Ruger Single Six for going on 40 years now. Best little plinking 22 pistol I owe, just look and point....it just seems to be attracted to tin cans and it'll dance them all over pasture fast as you thumb the hammer back. Sweet old gun.

Down here in the Texas Hill Country, those Dexter cattle are taking off like a brush fire. Lotta big places getting chopped into small places and the those Dexters are custom made for a small place. Last years 4H stock show had a about dozen entered. Pretty little critters, look like an Oreo cookie on four legs to me!

Last edited:
was them Dexter's white in the middle, I know people here are breeding to miniature white ringed ones I forget their names, an ,jerseys an angus lowliness , I don't know, I know there's a miniature breed of cow that looks that way, I've seen some crosses, Dexter's are not miniatures, they I thought were the world's smallest cattle breed from the Ireland mountains and brought back in England as Kerry type Dexter's long legged,, I don't have any red ones but I got a couple dunes and a couple blacks, my bull carries both color genetics, he is about three I think maybe 4 have to look, black, massive but short polled, he throws calves to what color the momma cow is, an bred to polled heifers his calves are polled if bred to traditional horned then he throws from very small horns to two flat black spots of horns. American Dexter Association. ADA. But everyone knows I get confused,,lol my bull is short legged and my momma's are long legged he looks like he couldn't cover them then he walks up to them and they are all in a inch or two. of each other, I just put a little bull in the freezer, his mom bred straight back, she sprung a black heifer about a month ago so he was under a year, his live weight was 445lbs.. got tired of him wanting to be the man of the house, been sick for quite a while so not banded at a week or two not again, whew, but time his sister is ready to butcher she will have more meat, I lost my receipt before getting home so I don't know about how much he dressed out, not 1 drop of grain, have ran the for this entire year in a lot that would not run 3 big cows, people are starting to hear about mine, I see people coming by looking at the grass know this was a very, very good year for us on grass, I got on top of my little spot I got use of another 30 acres. so cut into 3 pastures 10 acres has ran 9 head and tick fat and still got grass,, you cant beat them when you figure grass vs acres vs per head ,,,
no feed, and I winter with no feed just hay, but it look's like I got at least 2 more months before worrying about hurting my grass, did that this years to see just how accurate they claim them to be, they aint lying,
Dawg

I GUESS YOU CAN TELL I'M STILL CAMPED OUT NEAR THE RESTROOM, bummer

Whats the polled duns and polled black heifers run around there,
Dawg

W

Nor has any of mine,, I've made my peace I hope an pray.
Dawg

Uhhh Dawg....I hate to break the news to you, but Mismost is a he.

Grandaddy taught us to shoot rifle and pistol and hunt and fish. I'm pretty good with hardballs, long or short guns. But, I never could get the hang of shotgunning....couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a boxing plank with a shotgun.

Grandaddy was an awesome wing shot and we bird hunted a lot. Shotgun shells were expensive to him and he hated waste. I'd miss two three birds and he would say "put that gun in the truck and get back over boy". I'd spend the rest of the day fetching his birds. He was telling my Mom about how I "missed most" of the birds....missed most got shortened to Mismost as his nickname for me. Yeah, that was verbal bullying by todays standards...gosh, don't know how I survived.

Fast forward decades and I'm shooting competition and am active on a couple of shooting forums. You gotta have a handle/name. I used Mismost. And every time I type Mismost, I think of my Grandaddy and how lucky I was to have him in my life.

I was about 40 when I decided that I had to learn the shotgun. Twenty years later and 10's of thousands of rounds later, I am OK with a shotgun. Last night I hit 144 outta 150 on a pretty soft sporting clays course. In competition, I am a solid middle of the pack shooter. I do not Miss Most anymore, but....I still miss my Grandaddy.

BTW, I doubt this forum has a deep gun culture. I just want y'all to know that none of my guns have ever killed a humane being...most of us "gun nuts" are in fact, not crazy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back