attempted cherry limeaide

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osborngj

Reaction score
So I came up with my own recipe for cherry limeaid not using any soda. I put it all together and got the s.g. to 1.071. Started fermenting and added a little nutrient and energizer ala skeeter pee. It continued fermentation and then just stopped cold at 1.018. It still yeilds an alcohol contant between 7%-7.5%. I'm ok with that. But here comes the question. Should I be concerned about the wine

I have had this happen once on a six gallon batch. How many gallons and what yeast? I would try to ferment to dry. I would mix 2 cups must and and 2 cups of water. 1/4 cup sugar make sure it is about 75 deg. Then add ec1118 or k1v1116 and let it sit for an about an hour or until it is bubblen like crazy then gently pour on top. That is what I would do.

Currently in a carboy with airlock. Primary was in a bucket with an air lock. I used ec-1118 yeast.

Did it stop when you racked it to the carboy? If so, I'll almost bet it is still going, but it slowed down. because you took a bunch of the yeast out if you left a bunch of lees. Just the opposite of getting some air to it when you rack and it takes off gang busters again. Keep an eye on your s.g. for a while and see if it changes. Arne.

Starter, ie a new yeast batch mixed with water and must, if so I just got it put together tonight.

I wouldn't pitch a "starter" using must from a batch that was already stuck... I usually try to use something that will act like rocket fuel. Something like 8 ounces of room temperature pasteurized apple juice with no preservatives in it.

I feel that using the must but diluted allows the yeast to acclimate to the acidity and not be shocked when added to the original must. I add a little sugar to get it going nice and strong. I have read that a starter in similar conditions will not be as shocking to the yeast as one started in a diff must. It has worked well for me in hard to restart musts.

If it is still going down, it is still fermenting. I suspect you want it done, but it is still working. Have to use Tom's 3 P's. Patience, patience, patience. Good luck withit, Arne.

Back