apples going bad...ok for wine ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcaret

Reaction score
I'm kinda new at apple wine . I have a wheel barrrow full of sweet apples I just noticed some have gone bad, I'm wondering if I turn the good ones into mush along with some that are a tad going bad if they might make half decent wine ? I have a recipe in my wine making booklet.
Neil

I cut away the bad sections , not sure if its OK to use the bad ones or not , but the only difference between fruit rotting and making wine is the sugar for the most part. If you think I'm kidding take one of the "bad" apples and take a good whiff. You can actually smell the fermentation going on right inside the apple.

I get attacked all the time by drunk yellow jackets when I'm trying to pick my pears. Lol

LOL,

I had this one member of my group that was allergic to bees.

We always had some bees around us when we pressed our wine. They really did not have interest in stinging anybody. They were just interested in getting at the juice. The press always had a number of yellow-jackets climbing around. As long as you were careful, you would not get stung.

To combat the yellow-jackets, this member (in a shear act of brilliance) sprayed bug killer all over the working press!!!! What an IDIOT!

When I asked him if he was willing to drink the wine that was just sprayed with Raid, he simply looked at me with a dumb expression and said "Oh, I haven't thought of that".... I just shook my head in disbelief.

We ended up having to break down the press, ditch all of the grapes in the basket, hose and scrub EVERYTHING several times. In all, about 2 hours work.

I do not know who I am more angry with... this idiot member, the yellow-jackets, or our educational system.

Yeah I guess better to dump them than take a chance , besides last night Ijust bought my first wine making kit from Superstore , on sale for 28.95 .
Pretty cool , you get juice and everything .
Neil

I do not know who I am more angry with... this idiot member, the yellow-jackets, or our educational system.

this is something that cant be taught at school, this is why warning labels should be removed from everything :)

That bad fruit will tend to have more bad bacteria and such in it. Stuff you wouldn't want in your wine.

Back