Apple Wine Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningalive

Reaction score
I am interested in making apple wine. I have only made kits up to this point and one batch from pure juice. The questions I have are.... What kind of apples? I have access to really good apples for apple pie for free! How many do I need to do lets say a 6 gallon batch? How do you juice them? Is there a recipe I should be using or do I just use strait juice? I know that's a lot of questions, lol. If there is a better way to learn how to do this process just let me know! Thanks!

well apple juice is a little easier so look here.
http://www.finevinewines.com/wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4782
for fresh fruit get what you can.
I start with 6-7# per gallon so ,

30-36# apples cored and quartered
put in paint straing bag (2)
I suggest to use 2 buckets as the volume of apples are big
3tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp k-meta
5 1/2 gallons of water
sugar to 1.085
1tsp Ascorbic acid
6tsp nutrient
Combine above and 24 hours add
make a starter using Cote des Blancs yeast
remove pulp @ 1.020
Rack @ 1.010 Combine here if you have the room.
I would strongly suggest to make a f-pac and back sweeten.

Wow that's a lot of info! Now I just have to try to get what you just told me, I'm a little thick sometimes, lol.

LOL

You asked for it.. Its more involved than kit wines.
Good Luck...

Fair enough.
smiley1.gif

The very first batch of wine I made ( which was just a little over a year ago) was an apple wine I used golden delicious apples because thats what was on my tree. I bulk aged it for 8 months before I backsweetened it and tweaked the acid level a little. It came out great!!!! I only have 5 bottles left and I told my wife that they are off limits. I want to open one every 6 months from now on out to see when it reaches it's prime . also if I can stretch them out maybe I'll have more made by then.

BOB

I made an apple cider wine (recipe in - of course - "Making Wild Wines and Meads" that turned out great. Their bit of wisdom was that the advantage of using cider is that there are typically a few types of apples that go into it, which tends to balance the acidic qualities and flavors, which leads to a nicely balanced wine.

Your best apple wines will be made from a blend of at least 2-3 different types of apples. Preferably 3

I have heard the "sour" type apples work the best. And as Waldo said.... use a blend.

Depends on what you want to change. The one I posted has alot of apples. Some may use less or more. Either way the chemicals would be the same for the volume.
What do you want to change?

burningalive said:
Also as far as back sweetening, how exactly do you create an fpack?
Back sweeten is simple syrup 2 parts to 1 part boiling water. Srit sugar over heat till clear.

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">F-PAC <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">How to make a F-PAC[/B]
Add 20-30% of what used in the primary in a large frying pan or pot. Simmer to extract all "flavor" and reduce the water from the fruit. Strain thru a kitchen strainer and add AFTER you rack and after the wine is DRY ( .990) You MUST have added k-meta and Sorbate before adding the f-pac. Once adding the f-pac you can add clearing agent. You will have to rack at least 2+ more times. Then
back sweeten to YOUR taste using simple syrup.

Tom

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY
and
DELANCO VINEYARDS<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]

The F-Pack that I made was just filtered apple juice that I bought at Wal-Mart that I reduced on the stove by 2/3rds . this concentrated the flavors and reduced the amount that I added to the wine. I did wait awhile , but my wine did not get cloudy doing this and I had no new sediment to deal with.

BOB

Thanks for everything! Tepe I don't really want to change anything, just wondered if that was standard practice. Thanks again.

fivebk said:
The F-Pack that I made was just filtered apple juice that I bought at Wal-Mart that I reduced on the stove by 2/3rds . this concentrated the flavors and reduced the amount that I added to the wine. I did wait awhile , but my wine did not get cloudy doing this and I had no new sediment to deal with.

BOB
Bob, Yes that is another way to make a f-pac. Its just not as strong thats all.

Waldo said:
Your best apple wines will be made from a blend of at least 2-3 different types of apples. Preferably 3

If I only have one type of apples that I will steam juice, would it be OK to use purchased juice to make a blend? Could I also use frozen concentrate?

Yes to both, just make sure it is 100% juice or concentrate. My first batch of apple was made with just one variety and it turned out great!!! ( golden delicious apples )

BOB

Hi, I tried making apple cider wine for the very first time. I used Montrachet yeast to get things going, but to be honest, I am unsure if the Montrachet did the job or the hard cider effect happened.

The reason I say this is because there was never any yeast cap floating on top just foam. Also the smell during fermentation was like that of hard cider and a hint of beer. Taste tests reveal a beer ish aftertaste and some hard cider notes, but the primary fermentation has just finished at .992 sg. What it looks like in the bucket now, is a yellowy orange
very cloudy ( still cider like) appearance. Should I keep this in the primary bucket and add more pectic enzyme or add clarifying agents at this stage?

Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to make Apple Cider wine, not beer or a high alcohol "specialty" drink.

thank you in advance,
Gerry

No.....No need for pectic or clearing yet. You need to rack this off the lee's into glass.

You need to degass and add k-meta and sorbate. Then let it sit for a couple weeks before moving on.....

Back