Apple washer?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know of a decently priced apple washer machine/device? Something that can clean off apples to be pressed.

I also want something a little more professional, like a table or some system (but not some ultra-expensive one either). I may sell what I make.

That's alright, I wasn't very clear ^_^

It all connects to my other question about cleaning with potable water. Are there rules with this stuff, or risks? Like is it required to wash fruit before fermenting if it is commercially sold? If so, does it have to be potable water, or will any water will do? If it is not required, are there really any risks to not doing it?

... And if it is recommended/required: any equipment recommendations?

THANKS!

I would recommend a good hard rain prior to harvesting -
Good question - I just take my fruit off my trees and start processing it - we do not spray either and even if you do spray it is all washed off many weeks prior to harvest

So there's no legal/health code responsibility to clean fruit before fermenting it (for commercial operations)?

My wife’s mother used to put her cucumbers in the washing machine for a cycle to clean them and knock off the little spines before she pickled them.

I know if you washed grapes, they would soak up the water & dilute your Brix reading, as well as your acidity - and washing off any native yeasts if you were a winery going that route.

I've heard of apple ciders made the same way - just crushed, pressed, and allowed to let the native yeast ferment the natural sugars to ~5-6 % ABV.

Most vegetables are washed, but you'd be surprised what's still on the fruit you buy at the store

Latest posts

Back