Apple poundage = how much juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just my 2 cents worth, which means not very much but in making apple wine I'll use 1 to 2 crab apple in with my apples and at end if back sweetening if need I use a bottle of all naturel apple juice to sweeten with this works well beings I run my alcohol up to 14 to 15 percent then when I back sweeten I end up with an apple wine that tastes like apple with just a hint of crabapple, for added taste, and the apple juice back sweeten will bring you alcohol down to a more right tasting wine of 9 to 10 percent, but unlike the real masters I prefer a semi sweet wine , I do bottle bottles of dry and kick them back
so in ten years I'll know for myself if I care for dry wine, I know i don't in young wines , but not on aged wine yet,, but only 8 more years and I'll know for myself ,.,.:D

Well, I cut up 12.5# Friday night into small chunks/cubes and threw them in the freezer. Will be a couple weeks before I get to them.
I am going to use this amount for a 1 gal. batch and hopefully get some decent flavor out of it. I will put them in a mesh bag and into a 1/4 - 1/2 gal. of water and let them thaw, and press/smash along the way. Hopefully that many apples will make up the rest of the needed liquid volume for a solid gallon.
I will probably make an apple fpac for backsweetening.

Ummm yeah, I can see where a press would be nice. Thawed 13# of Cortland and Macintosh apples in 16oz. water with some kmeta and pectic. Started off by pressing/smashing them with a potato masher. That wasn't working so well so used my hands from there on out. Ended up with just shy of 1 gal. of juice. Had to top off with 16oz. more water.
The mesh fruit bag is pretty big for that 2 gal. primary. I am considering pulling it but there is still a fair amount of "apple" left in it.
Must has a very orangy-brown look to it.
Decided to do this batch with K!-V116 and see what happens. Next batch I will use 71-B.

@dralarms , @heatherd and others.

I added pectic and kmeta before thawing/smashing stage prior to nutrient, yeast, etc.
With that said, should I add more pectic when racking from primary to secondary to aid in clearing? It would seem the pectic I added up front is no longer available to work as it was sprinkled on the fruit bag and minimal must in the beginning. I would assume it was used up during that initial process.

Fermentation is almost done so will be racking to secondary tonight.

@dralarms , @heatherd and others.

I added pectic and kmeta before thawing/smashing stage prior to nutrient, yeast, etc.
With that said, should I add more pectic when racking from primary to secondary to aid in clearing? It would seem the pectic I added up front is no longer available to work as it was sprinkled on the fruit bag and minimal must in the beginning. I would assume it was used up during that initial process.

Fermentation is almost done so will be racking to secondary tonight.

Wineforfun, I always use enzyme at start. and add bentonite on the third day of ferment, and have always had excellent results with clearing, I have 15 gal. that i started in late Sept. and it's already totally clear. Dale.

Well, I racked over last night and didn't add anymore so will let time do it's thing.
There is definitely going to be quite a bit of sediment drop.
Thanks.

Back