Apple pie wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Backsweetening is adding a sweetener of some type after fermintaion has been completed. Achieving a residual sugar is difficult for the homebrewer so this seems to be the more popular method of achieving a sweet wine as fermintaion usually uses up all the sugars in the wine. This is often done with a simple syrup of sugar and water heated to facilitate disolving the sugar.
A flavor pac as I understand it is also usually a syrup created by simmering down a fruit or fruit juice to a syrup as well.
I also am new to this and the timing of these steps is somewhat unclear to me. It seems however it varies widely depending on the patience of the individual.
Just for clarification there are many commercial wineries that also backsweeten in one manner or another.

Mine smells great but racking off the pie crust was difficult....not to mention as to how I'm going to get the pie tray out of my carboy now.

allen1, you have to stabalize before you sweeten back. Otherwise you will probably get a referment. The referment mite take a while to restart. If it waits til you get it in bottles you wind up with the dreaded bottle bomb. Big mess, lottsa cleanup. There are lots of threads on here about sweetening. Read thru them or start one of your own. We will help you figure it out. Arne.

Just back-sweetened mine with brown sugar and it tastes delightful. Going to leave it for a while and see how everything melds together. :)

I have an apple wine all cleared in a 5 gallon carboy. Is there anything I could do at this point to get the apple pie flavor? I started ferment in December so it's about 3 months old right now.

Any recommendation how much of each per gallon? I might only do three gallons. I have an empty 3 gal and several 1 gal carboys I can rack to. Thanks

I would use cinnamon sticks and a vanilla bean. I would also suggest putting these in a tea bag and dropping in. Easier to pull out and to clear

winemaker_3352 said:
I would use cinnamon sticks and a vanilla bean. I would also suggest putting these in a tea bag and dropping in. Easier to pull out and to clear

How many and how long? I have read if you use too much cinnamon or for too long it can be overpowering. Thanks

3 cinnamon sticks, 1vanilla bean chopped up, and 1tsp for other spices except cloves. Cloves do 1/8 tsp, it goes a long way. I leave it in for about 3-5 says and do a taste/smell if it needs longer let it go longer. I would check a out every 3-5 days though

winemaker_3352 said:
3 cinnamon sticks, 1vanilla bean chopped up, and 1tsp for other spices except cloves. Cloves do 1/8 tsp, it goes a long way. I leave it in for about 3-5 says and do a taste/smell if it needs longer let it go longer. I would check a out every 3-5 days though

Is that for my five gallons?

Latest posts

Back