anyone made peach wine??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcaret

Reaction score
My very first attempt at wine making was to make peach /necterine wine . It was very smooth ,I generally dont like any store bought wine so I mix it with club soda or Ginger ale, but the peach wine was almost like thinned out peach juice. With an alchol % of around 14% . The next batch was crabapples and apples and raisins and awful to drink. I'd like to know if my peach wine was a fluke or is there wines that are known to be smoother than the regulat store bought stuff? and what are they ?

I recently made some peach. I was the second batch of wine I made. It turned out very well. What was wrong with your crabapple/apple?

14% alcohol is pretty high for a peach wine, that will mask a lot of the flavor. Peach is not a strong flavor to begin with. What was your recipe for this?

I made 1g of peach that was nasty until it had been in the bottle for 18mos. In another 6mos I expect it to be VERY good.

I never bother with 1g any more. 3g is my experiment size now :)

1st Post Recipe.
this way we can help instead of guessing.

I make Peach every year. I make 6-12 gallons. I like to use "freestone" peaches. Pit and quarter 36#'s for 6 gallons, gravity to 1.085

Ditto what Tom said. I make 15-20 gals. of peach wine each year, for the past 4 years. It clears on it's own, 3-6 mo. It's very smooth, I like it at 11%. Tried a 12.5% batch & it was not as good. Roy

Julie , I'm new at this at have no recipe I followed .I just dumped peaches and a few frozen necterines that had been in my freezer for over 5 years into the plastic pail ,and added lots of sugar ,wine yeast and bread yeast ,some raisins ,but not more than 1/2 a lb. .A few weeks later I filtered it into 2L pop bottles and after another 2 weeks started drinking it. I'm now making some wine out of other fruit but have no recipe still .
After this I'm going to write it all down,so if i get a good drink I'll be able to duplicate it ..

Well I think that is one way to make wine but I don't think you have much of a chance of making it again if you don't know how much of what you put in. Also most of us use recipes and procedures so that we have a reasonable chance of a good tasting wine. You will spend alot of money and waste a bunch of time (IMO) if you don't follow some procedures that have been found to work. You may come up with some great wines but the chances are not as good. Not to discourage experimentation but... Good luck

I agree,writting the recipe down would have been the best thing to do. I was just in the store and saw some concertrated peach juice ,someone on here had a recipe for it. I think I'll look it up and try to make some.This time I think I'll make sparkling stuff .I just read the tutorials.
my crabapple/apple peach/and raisin wine is so strong tasting I almost gaged ,I tasted it after the first racking ,I racked it again last night.I'm going to try some wine syrop I got from the wine dept, but I'll ask about that in another thread.
Neil

Buy yourself a hydrometer. If nothing else you'll get your alcohol percentage right. I made my first batch of peach wine way to strong and it is finally starting to get drinkable after almost 2 years.

With no real recipe, just adding items in, and the fruit being 5 years old, this could have been the reason.

Starting SG for peach should be 1.085, destone,1/4 slice the peaches and freeze for a few days, and then let them thaw out completely.

Using a hydrometer will aid in your SG readings, also get an Acid Test Kit to adjust the acid level to around .60.

Be sure to add your k-meta in as well, and with peaches, you will want to add in absorbic acid to prevent any browning.

Don't use the bread yeast - use a wine yeast. I like to use Lalvin 71B-1122 for my fruits.

Post your recipe here for your next batch - the folks here can help you out with it.

Back