Another Newbie...........................

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcoop

Reaction score
2006-02-21_220225_pic2.JPG

Hey Everyone! My name is Donna, and I'm from Allen, Texas. I've been married for seventeen years and have two daughter 12 & 4. I'm so excited about my new obsession. I have always been a lover of wine, and thought to myself, "Self, why don't you just make your own wine?" That thought process landed me into George's store. I started my first batch today of Chianti, and I can't quit looking at it. I can already tell that I am going to be addicted. I'm just trying to read and learn as much as possible. Thank you for all the great post!

Take Care~D

Welcome Donna,

You will find the folks here warm and helpful.

Enjoy

Welcome, Donna, to the wonderful world of wine making. Most people
here claim they aren't addicted to it. You'll see as you go along...
smiley2.gif

Welcome Donna, don't worry about being addicted. I started my own orchard/vinery because my first try worked out great.

Welcome Donna. Time to go back to the store to pickup more carboys, you'll need them sooner than you think. As soon as you rack that chianti in the carboy you'll be looking to start you next batch.

Steve

Yes it is fun to look at at the various stages. Hey there is life in there. single cell's yeasties. Take care of them and they will take care of your wine. as well as clean clean and sanatize everything. and be patient. I have made 2 batches of Chianti after you bottle it let it sit in the bottle at least 3 months. Yes this is the hard part is the waiting. but just like a real baby 9 months and look what you have. aks george anything ps long term corks for the chianti the older the better. Get your kids in there with you. Find out what they like to do. Mine like to start the batches and bottle and label the batches I usually do the rest of the stuff clean clean clean if you know what i mean. ps get handles for the carboys..

Donna, Welcome to the forum! I've been trying to put 10 pounds into the 5 pound bag recently and it's all not fitting!
smiley36.gif
We're glad to have you on board, and Chianti is one of my all time favorite wines! We were raised learning to appreciate some different wines, and Chianti was one of the earliest. I like a little puff of dust to come out of my mouth after that first taste! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures. And remember, we love pictures!

Dang, dunno how I missed this thread. Happy Belated Welcome Aboard!

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurf,

What wine goes with Hot Dogs and Bologna?

My initial thought was, "Hard Lemonade."

Let me try.

But after some more thought (and a glass of hard lemonade with bologna as a taster), I'd say probably a fruity, light, island mist wine.

(Don't have it, so I had another glass of hard lemonade to decide alternatives)

After more thought, I'd say, a port. It's heavy as well, and kind of tones down the harshness of the bologna. Waldo's port is excellent, by the way.

What if you don't have port? Hmmm. I'd have to think about it over a glass of port. What about a glass of Niagara? It's sweet, fruity and almost a complete opposite of bologna or a hot-dog. Perhaps that. Let me try.

No, that didn't work. Might make for a romantic evening with the spouse, though.
smiley2.gif

Now, I watched a PBS show (see "Chit-Chat" section) about wines, and it talked about Old-World vs New-World wines. It seems Old-world wines are the way to go for food. Hmmmm. Let me look for an old-world wine that goes with bologna/hot dogs.... Ah! Zweigelt from Austria. Yes, that could work. More acidic, shorter finish, doesn't overpower the fine cuisiness of the hearty meat.

But what about other old-world wines? How about a Dornfelder? Yes, that might just possibly work too. It's a more robust wine than the Zweigelt, but definitely worth a try. Perhaps not what you'd like for a "dog-n-suds" evening, but it does work. A riesling does not come into question. White wines and hot dogs? Yech! If real men don't eat quiche, then Real Winedrinkers don't mix their riesling with hotdogs.
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

Summa summarum: Zweigelt and bologna work. Dornfelder possibly. Riesling is a no-no. Hard lemonade + hot-dogs = party. Island mist + hot dogs? Suggestions please. Niagara + hot-dogs? Romantic evening possibly. Port-n-dogs? Well, port as a "chaser" yes. Makes the high-quality meat go down a bit easier.

smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

Martina, you crack me up!
smiley36.gif

I'd suggest beer & hotdogs - 50 million people at baseball games can't be wrong.
smiley4.gif

"Beer, Beer, You Rascal You !

You knocked me down and scraped my shin.

You are a bad, bad, rascal but I think I'll try you again"
smiley36.gif

Now, now my dear beer-drinkin' folk....

You haven't tasted Martina's hard-hard lemonade.Goes with bologna and hotdogs.
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back