Amarone Suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kramnuko

Reaction score
I have 6 gallons of Amarone juice from Italy. Any suggestions on fermenting this type of grape?

I'd use BM45 for the yeast, this has produced a wine almost identical to a commercial Amarone, put it through Malolactic fermentation, use Bacchus or VP41, get some tannins, tannin riche works real well with this wine.
If you don't have an oak barrel, I'd add 2 oz of chips (medium toast, french) to the fermenting bucket, the yeast metabolizes it resulting much like an oak barrel, I'd get a few oak infusion spirals, again, medium toast french, you will be very happy with the results.
I have made a few batches from juice buckets that are absolutely amazing, I cannot wait to get more this fall, this time, I'll buy a lug of fresh grapes and ferment it on 9 lbs of fresh crushed grapes, it makes an amazing wine.

What kind of yeast are you using?

I am using a BM 4x4 yeast. I will be bringing the bucket to room temperature tomorrow. I will be getting the medium french oak. I have never used wood before so this will be a trial for me. Any more details on adding wood will help. Is it just while in the primary?

BM 4x4 is the better choice, less nutrient requirements than bm45, good plan.
Make sure that you have Fermaid K, you will need it none the less.
If you have oak chips, add and ounce or 2 to the fermenting bucket, after fermentation when you rack it to a carboy, you can add an oak infusion spiral, wait a few months and see how it develops, you can always add another.

Latest posts

Back