Mosti Mondiale Amarone. MM Renaissance

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First250

Reaction score
I bottled my first Amarone last weekend. I have read much about this wine, and never tasted it until now. Myonly concern was that the wine would be unpleasantly bitter. Not so! The 2/3 bottle left over from bottling disappeared quickly.
From what I had read, this wine is strong in tannins and takes a few years to mature. However, this wine , less than two months old, tastes amazing, andhas almost no harshness that I understand to be fromunaged tannins. I expected more of the 'big bitter' taste,and there is to me a slight bitter taste*(my first enjoyable 'bitter' I would say). Iwas pleasantly surprised bythe slight sweetness. The higher alcohol ( about 13+% I believe) content really compliments the taste.

Has anyone had a similar experience with this? Again, this was my first Amarone and really didn't know what to expect. I don't want to run out of this one!

This is the first Amarone I made and I agree it is a terrific wine, big, smooth, and lots of oak! I aged mine for 6 months before bottling and every time we open a bottle it just gets better. I had read some very good comments about the CC Amarone and was able to pick up a kit last year on sale. I'll be bottling it in January and can't wait to compare the 2.
I don't want to run out of this wine either!
VC

Good description, big and smooth exactly!

I normally bulk age for at least 3 months but needed the carboy.

Let us know how the CC turns out.

Good job...

I have a MM Barolo aging right now. It has been interesting to watch it progress. At first it tasted amazing, then a month or two later it tasted "waterey", it had declined. Now it is steadily inproving. I am excited about it.

That Mosti Amarone Rennaissance kit was the one I won Gold with in the WineMaker Magazine Competition. I fully agree that it is early aging and excellent for the money. I bumped that wine up 2 points or so in %ABV which made it even bigger and I think that is what was liked so much. I just got another kit of this in yesterday. I don't need to make any kits anymore, but I chose to do this one again.

Best of luck waiting for this one to age!

I too made this kit and as did appleman, I also took the ABV to 15%.
Best one I have made as of now.
After only 3 months in the bottle it is very smooth, excellent wine to keep on hand. I understand that Amarone can keep for many many years as well, under the right conditions as much as 30 years +..... mine won't make it but sure would like to have a bottle to open every year for 30 years just to see if it is true!
I don't want to run out of it either so I believe I will make another in about 6 months or so to be sure I have some aged wine on hand when the other one is gone. When my friends get a taste of this one I don't see it hanging around very long.

bet I can get alot of help around my place next summer, caring for the yard and Pool
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

I made the CC Amarone. started it in April, bottled on May 27. When I bottled, I filled 6 187 ml bottles to sample every couple of months. We just sampled our third bottle yesterday. This wine is turning into something great. Each bottle seems to improve. It gets "softer" with every tasting. I like making the 187 ml samplers; better than opening up a whole bottle of wine that may not yet be ready.

I've made both kits and both are very good. Right now the nod goes to the MM Renascence, but its a year and a half older and I've only had very small samples of the CC which has yet to be bottled. For price and ease of making the MM kit is a terrific value. Has anyone made the other kits with raisins in that line?
VC

I did the 09 Meglioli Amarone. Started it in April and bottled in October. Way too young to know, but I have ordered the '10 Meglioli.

Simple Syrup to SG 1.105 - 1.110 about 14.5% - 15% don't know where the cut off would be for flavor or loss of it, but this worked very well for me.

My Amarone is 8 months old and I only have 12 bottles left! I had planned on letting it age at least a year. I just received another kit yesterday so maybe I'll be able to stay away from this one while I consume the earlier one. Every bottle is a better tasting treat!

Yep that's what I used was a simple sugar syrup. I brought it up to around 15% or so. I don't have the notes in the house so I can't check. The kit handles the alcohol very well.

Getting ready to start this kit.

Is bumping the sg up recommended? I know to eachtheir own but want this one outstanding.And also any problems withexpanding over the ferm bucket, ok to use it or go to 10 gal container?

TIA

Appleman won a gold at the winemaker comp. so they sure liked it! I fermented mine in a 10 gallon fermenter - really glad I did because the 7.9 would not have been large enough. Mine was made according to the kit directions at the time. Meaning no early transfer and no extra nutrient. Turned out absolutely amazing.

Alrighty then a 10 gal it is (didn't want to drag out the 10 gal crock if didn't need it, heavy)

Might just do according to directions this time

Thanks vcasey

This kits says it will be drinkable in six months. Might take a little longer if you bump the alcohol up much.

See what your starting SG is and go from there.... BUT.... I made sure mine finished at14.5% - 15% because there is plenty of oak in it to help hide a higher ABV. Besides that the flavor and aroma from this wine is fantastic IMO. and after 6 months you can not taste the difference between this wine with 13% and this wine with 15%..... Soooo...

my 2 cents is to go ahead and boost it up to 15% you can't hurt it and it is a slow drinking wine anyway, after some aging will be great.... in fact after just 1 month I think you will like it.... then try and wait a few months to try the next one.... good luck
smiley4.gif

Fly guy's right about the oak - lots of it. And this maybe drinkable at 6 months but be sure to save some cause at 2 years it is amazing!

Don't deviate too far from the directions and it will astound you. Like i SAID, i BUMPED THE ALCOHOL A BIT- OOPS- DANged caps again. Back online again, but the power keeps flickering. It has been all rain here today- now if it doesn't flood..................

Latest posts

Back