RJ Spagnols All varieties of Spagnols 6.3 litre kits taste the same

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuse

Junior
Reaction score
So I make El Cheapo wine kits when I am waiting for grape wine or decent kits to finish aging.
Here in BC, Canada, the lowest rung are the Spagnols' Cellar Master kits, which the fine folks at that fine company admit are identical to their Heritage Estates 6.3 litre kits.
I accept these as the excellent low-cost plonk-makers they are, and even appreciate them. If tweaked with a little bit of extra sugar, some extra fruit like raisins, bananas or elderberries, and some oak staves with a little extended aging, they actually make drinkable wine.
My only beef is THEY ALL TASTE THE SAME. Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Nebbiolo. The dreaded "kit taste" dissipates a fair bit with the tweaks above, but they fundamentally taste the same. And they all look the same. Very purple. Isn't a young Nebbiolo supposed to be ruby red? Maybe I will age a couple of bottles over 5 years to see if it attains the trademark orange tinge.
Anyone know why this is? Too much ultra-concentrate like that Mega Purple stuff? Generic grapes concentrated and pasteurized so they taste similar? Added flavours and colours?
Any insider info appreciated!
(PS. I will still buy your kits if you disclose stuff! ;)

though i have never made those kits, maybe its the extras you add that make them taste the same

cheers

Many of the mid to premium kits taste similar early on as well. How long are you aging these?

I drank the low-end Cab Sauv and Shiraz within the first year, only a bottle of each left.
Actually, this post was misleading. The Nebbiolo tastes quite different, and has a more reddish hue. It is actually really tasty.
And yes, maybe the addition of raisins and bananas made the Cab and Shiraz taste similar. A slight oxidized taste. And similar mouthfeel.
Thanks for the feedback!

Latest posts

Back