Mosti Mondiale All Juice Petite Syrah??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
Has anyone made this kit? Tasting notes? I really enjoy Petite Syrah and other then a 10L kit this is the only one made. I have empty primaries and need to get something going. Thinking this might be one of them.

I have been thinking about this same kit, I hope someone can tell us about it.

I'd be interested to know about this one too. I have a petite sirah from frozen must bulk aging and I'm hooked--best wine I've tasted in a long time. I like it better than Bogle PS which is the only commercial brand I've had. I'm afraid I'd be disappointed in a kit so I'd like to know how it compares to something like Bogle.

Johnny,

I started the MM AJ Petite Sirah kit in October of 2009 (link to post). The only deviation from the norm was the use of a Mosti AllGrape pack that Matteo had sent to me to try.

I just racked it to a French oak barrel yesterday and will have tasting notes up in a couple of weeks (after the K-Meta levels settle a bit).

- Jim

It is for all practical purposesthe same grape. Traditional naming convention lists the grape as Petite Sirah in the United States, however that seems to slip depending on who is printing the label. In other parts of the world, it's known as Durif.

There is most assuredly a difference between Petite Sirah and Syrah grape varietals. Petite Sirah was made through crossing Syrah with another grape type.

Why Mosti Mondiale chose to spell the name with a 'y', I do not know.

- Jim

Goodfella they are one in the same as far as I know. My favorite all time PS is Earthquake out of Lodi Ca. Their 2005 vintage was unreal. Blows the Bogle away in my oppinion.

Jim I am happy to hear that as I do value your notes. I will be looking forward to the report. I may wait until May on this one as I can get a lug of Chilean Shiraz grapes and make my own grape pack then. In the meantime I may get a few smaller kits working to build enough stock to let the good stuff get the proper age on it.

Jim if I am not mistaking PS is actually an offspring of syrah. Though they are different they do have alot of the same characteristics.

Johnny,
They do have that dark fruit and deep color in common, that's for sure. I looked up the source information and it is noted that Petite Sirah came from cross-pollenating Syrah with a plant called Peloursin (a Rhone grape vine).

When it comes to that whole cross-pollenation thing, it's funny what end results can be. Cabernet Sauvignon was a result of a cross of Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc. Madness, if you think about it from a 1 + 1 point of view.

Earthquake makes some nice wines - their Zinfandel and Petite Sirah are nice indeed.

- Jim

Cool. Good info guys. Thanks

P.S. If you guys like Port.... You must try the petite sirah port from Prager Port works in Napa. Ummmm

I started this one in May 09. As of now it has been in the barrel since mid december. I will probably bottle at the end of March or so. It will need to age for at least another six months or so.

Paul

Paul,

Good to see you on the forum again. I'm glad to hear things are well in your wine world. :)

- Jim

I have decided to wait on this one until May when I can get grapes to create a grape pack for it. I tried to buy a grape pack, but noone would sell one. Looking forward to hearing all tasting notes on it.

My SWMBO just discovered Petite Syrah and decided she likes it, she really likes it! I will be pulling the trigger on the MM AJ Petite Syrah this Summer for sure. Will probably order a Syrah Grape Pack to add on top for sure....
smiley20.gif

That should spruce it up nice and I am really glad someone decided to jump back into this market. They were offered before by another company but they had a big problem with theirs and took it off the shelf, I believe it was offered by Heron Bay or the company that makes that product.

Any taste notes on the kit yet? I also love PS from commercial wines. Really like to know how this kit would stack up to them?

JohnnyK68 said:
I have decided to wait on this one until May when I can get grapes to create a grape pack for it. I tried to buy a grape pack, but noone would sell one. Looking forward to hearing all tasting notes on it.

George now sells the Cab/Sav grape pack and the Syrah grape pack from Cellar Craft.

I don't know of any reason why, if one of these packs (Syrah pack) is put into the fermentation bucket with the AJ PS, it would not make a fabulous wine.

I will be trying it very soon, myself.

Latest posts

Back