All in one pump overflow bottle question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specialk1979

Junior
Reaction score
I used my pump for the second time today (which I love)..I was degassing by racking a kit wine. I had cleaned and sanitized the overflow bottle and tubing. I had a overflow from foaming up and user error of about 1 cup, without thinking I added it back into the carboy. How bad did I mess up, if at all??

Thanks! I was just really concerned about it going through the pressure release valve that is inline. Wasn't sure if it would taint it in anyway.

Yes, I will be racking it to another carboy to age then filter and bottle.

I used my pump for the second time today (which I love)..I was degassing by racking a kit wine. I had cleaned and sanitized the overflow bottle and tubing. I had a overflow from foaming up and user error of about 1 cup, without thinking I added it back into the carboy. How bad did I mess up, if at all??

Yours is probably very clean since only used once before, but I have read that valve can get pretty nasty inside even if you clean and sanitize each time. Maybe someone else will comment. I pitch any overflow since I read that in another post a while back.

That's what I was thinking, just didn't think at the time. Will definitely not do that again but will keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't hurt the batch.

Any tips on cleaning that valve or the barbs, I couldn't get it apart easily to clean after using today and could see some wine trapped in the groove of one of the barbs..

Don't sweat it. Like the others have said, you should be fine, since it's a young valve. You'll find as you use that pump more that you will probably end up with a teaspoon or less of liquid in the overflow.

You will be fine -
Don't ever sanitize the valve - only fresh warm water and flush it out from any residue. Some people had a corrosion issue in the valve - which was caused because of the steel spring - rusting over time.

I have corrected this problem by installing stainless steel springs , so they will not rust.

I used to have overflow, then I figured out how useful the pressure release valve is when racking and filling your bottles. I was trying to break the vacuum when filling a bottle and could not always do that fast enough and would suck some wine into the overflow. Then I figured out using the valve made that job easy You can partially depress it and slow down the flow or depress it all the way and stop the flow quickly. I've done over 500 bottles now with it not to mention all the rackings. Enjoy your new tool.

Thanks for all the responses! I guess I need to practice some more before bottling time..

Steve, I purchased the pump about a month ago, does that mean I have the stainless steel spring? Also, I didn't sanitize the valve, just ran water thru it with a jet bottle washer as I remember reading not to sanitize it. Thanks for creating such a handy device!

You will be fine -
Don't ever sanitize the valve - only fresh warm water and flush it out from any residue. Some people had a corrosion issue in the valve - which was caused because of the steel spring - rusting over time.

I have corrected this problem by installing stainless steel springs , so they will not rust.

Steve, I probably have the steel spring as I see some rust in the fitting hose attachment. I've been using starsan vs plain water when rinsing. Is starsan a problem? I've avoided k-meta as I figured that would not be good for metal.

Steve, I probably have the steel spring as I see some rust in the fitting hose attachment. I've been using starsan vs plain water when rinsing. Is starsan a problem? I've avoided k-meta as I figured that would not be good for metal.

I did a quick Google search on starsan - and it did come up as a corrosive -
I recommend only using warm water.
INCOMPATIBLE MATERIALS: Alkalis, chlorinated products, and soft metals.

here is the MSDS sheet -
http://www.jstrack.org/brewing/msds/starsan.pdf

Back