AirLock/Second Fermentation Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I racked my Pinot Grigio yesterday the SG was reading .998, I cleaned the 5 gallon Carboy, Bung and airlock, then rinsed with a K-meta solution. I filled the airlock to the max level indicated on the airlock with water and added a pinch of K-meta.
CO2 was being released through the airlock by the end of the day. All was good.
I just noticed that the airlock has wine in it, is this something that I should be concerned with? Should I remove and clean the airlock, and add fresh water and K-meta?
I don't know if the room temp matters, but the room is sitting at 70.5°, the Carboys are on the rug in a semi dark area.

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Last edited:
Yes because the wine in the airlock could spoil and if it happens again the spoiled wine will contact the wine in the carboy.

Also note that in the spring when temps warm up this can happen as the liquid expands.

Yep, I agree. Clean the air lock and put in fresh solution.

The solution in the air lock at least should be at the same strength as a Kmeta sanitizing solution - 3 tablespoons of Kmeta per gallon of water. I would make sure it is at this strength. You can also use vodka as an air lock solution.

Thanks, I will change the airlock immediately.
I appreciate the quick reply's!

I posted this someplace else on here today, but if you are over a nice floor or space of some kind, set your fermenter in a bucket, basket, tray, large garbage bag or whatever you can find in case it decides to blow over. Contains the mess and makes a much easier cleanup. If you are getting wine in the airlock, you are coming close to having a mess. Good luck with it, Arne.

Arne, Thanks for the tip, Currently I have the carboys sitting in shallow trays to try to contain any mess.

or just leave a bit more headroom in the carboy at this point. btw, i use vodka in my airlocks, so if some ends up in the wine,
its not harmful, just a tad more alcohol. i personally don't want to find that sanitizing strength k-meta has been added in an unknown quantity.

wyntheef said:
or just leave a bit more headroom in the carboy at this point. btw, i use vodka in my airlocks, so if some ends up in the wine,
its not harmful, just a tad more alcohol. i personally don't want to find that sanitizing strength k-meta has been added in an unknown quantity.

The problem is I'm to cheap to put vodka in there. Just kidding. I have heard of this and is a good idea.
I have also heard of people using glycerin as well, because it doesn't evaporate and is safe in wine.

What you use in an airlock is nothing to really worry about. I, myself, use simply k-meta solution and then age wine in bulk for almost 2 years. Every one in a while, I top the lock off and clean them every 6 months or so.

I just checked the SG on the two "oldest" and they were exactly the same as when I racked them, I added 1/4 teaspoon K-meta, stirred well, and put the airlock back on.
I'm going to get Superclear KC and Isinglass and try to clear the Pinot Grigio and bulk age.
Are you partial to clearing Reds such as Pinot Noir, Chianti, Lambrusco and Amarone as well, or should I just bulk age after stabilizing them?

Tom

I tend to use carboys as primary fermenters when using store bought juice or concentrate, so I tend to leave some space in the carboy by holding some juice back and keep it in the fridge. I especially do this if using a high foaming yeast. Then when it calms down I'll top up with the juice and let it ferment as well.

Letting reds naturally clear is a good idea providing the chemistry is okay. I've had a Syrah with a ph over 4, with acids around .70. Didn't want to add acid to reduce the ph, so I cold stabilized at 32 degrees for three weeks. The drop out of acids and solids allowed me to add acid back to lower the ph. Point being, reds can also be old stabilized like a white, just depends on other factors.

Good info, my plan is to rack them again in a few weeks, 3-4 weeks, this should bring me to prime temps for cold stabilization.
I got some real good advice today
Time and procrastination is your friend in this hobby!

I have to keep reminding myself that time is our friend...lol

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back