Airlock needed on primary fermenter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
I'm a little confused. I'm in the middle of making a 1 gal batch of frozen strawberry wine using jack keller's recipe. It talks about adding everything to the primary and fermenting for 7 days then transferring to a secondary. It suggests adding an airlock at that point. Do i not need one before then? I'm fermenting in a 2 gal stainless steel bowl with a lid. Will the lid blow off without an airlock? It does say to stir daily so I'm wondering if that would be enough to keep it from blowin the lid off. Thanks Nick

While it is in an active fermentation you do not need an airlock nor do you need to snap down the lid, you just have it laying on top.

Typically I would not use an airlock during primary stage - but will cover the must with some sort of breathable materiale. Say cheese cloth or a shirt to keep anything out of the primary. I always will stir or push down the cap about 3 times a day.

I just did my first 2 kits (WineExpert brand), Cabernet and Pinot Grigio. I followed the directions and kit, and sealed the primary fermenter with an airlock. Both fermented just fine and are now in secondary stage. As I'm sure most will agree, there are multiple ways of doing things.

If you choose to use an airlock in primary, make sure you leave plenty of headspace to allow for expansion during ferment. Otherwise the next post will be "My airlock is full of must, what do I do now?" Arne.

I just did my first 2 kits (WineExpert brand), Cabernet and Pinot Grigio. I followed the directions and kit, and sealed the primary fermenter with an airlock. Both fermented just fine and are now in secondary stage. As I'm sure most will agree, there are multiple ways of doing things.

I agree, do an "open fermentation" or a "closed fermentation" is for some a matter of choice. I personally do an open fermentation where I simply cover the must with a plastic sheet. I do this for several reasons..

I only make wine from fresh grapes and mostly make reds. Doing an open fermentation makes punching down much easier.

I feel that an open ferment allows for better expelling of gasses (not only CO2). I have found that (for me) doing open ferments does produce a better wine with less of a need for degassing.

During the growth phase of fermentation, what little O2 does get into the wine is very beneficial to yeast growth.

Once fermentation kicks off, the wine is perfectly safe due to the production of that "positive pressure CO2 blanket, so I feel that a sealed lid is not really required for sanitation purposes (that is, until fermentation winds down).

My advise is to try open fermentation and closed fermentation on a slit-batch. see which one you prefer.

I use an air lock on primary. It's fun to see how fast it bubbles. I feel more confident keeping gnats out by using an air lock in the summer.

haha Kevin I used to love snapping the lid down putting on an airlock and hearing it bloop.I bought a a bunch of twirly fancy ones to watch as well.
Now I just throw a towel over the pail

Latest posts

Back