Aging in oak barrels.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeman

Reaction score
I've read all about barrel preservation and use, burning sulfur, hydrating, etc.

But my question is: Do I need to fill the oak barrel up ALL the way? Or is a little air space acceptable?
I'm asking because I plan to buy a 5 gallon barrel, but make 6 gallons of wine at a time, no problem because then I'll have some left to 'top up' the barrel. But there are instances where I would want to make less than 5 gallons but still age it in a barrel, which obviously means there would be air inside.
Is this a huge no-no?

Yes , Keep it topped up. Check it every month or two, check sulfide and top so when you put the bung in the wine comes out. It seems picky but it is so worth it, takes you to a new level':h
Greg

I second rendezvous! Keeping the barrel topped off is a must!

Much like a carboy, you could always add marbles if you do not have enough wine. You could also add some similar store bough wine if need be.

Typically, when they need it..

it really does vary, but try checking every two weeks to start with. You will find that the rate of loss slows down the longer it is in the barrel.

Latest posts

Back