Advice, please...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leelanau

Reaction score
Hello, I have been researching wine making and am enjoying fine vine wines site the best. Today is my first day in the forum and I have founda lot of information to be helpful & supportive.Thank you!I have been impressed bythe pics of different homemade wines! I'm considering the Beginner Vintner's Reserve kit so I get all the right equipment and what sounds like a decent concentrate kit (and the cool looking wine whip that hooks to the drill).Well, just wanted to say HI and let everyone know I appreciatethe honest advice posted all over this forum!One last item: I was looking into temp control measures for carboys during fermenting, and I found a "wrap" that will provide low heat to keep the carboy warm, designed specifically for fermenting. My unfinished basement will be too cool for maintaining 65 - 70 degrees for white wine. Good idea or any other suggestions? Thanks, again.

Hi Leelanau and welcome to the forum. Where is your picture?? This is the photo section.
smiley36.gif

I'm a neophyte in wine making as well. I don't know how cold your basement gets or how warm the wrap might make the carboy. You could fill it up with warm water, place the wrap around it and stick a thermometer in the water and keep track of the temp. It can't get too warm or it will kill the yeast. It's can't be too cold or the yeast may not start or take a long time to work. You can use a pool thermometer or a indoor/outdoor one and stick the cable (used for outside) inside the carboy.

My basement it too cool and I have mine fermenting in a corner of the dinning room.

Welcome leelanau nice to have you aboard. We are here to help in any way we can. There aregreat people here and we all share our ideas.I think the Vintner's is a good beginning. You might memtion what type wines you are interested in making or like. Also you might consider the Wine Expert Island Mist kits. These kits are ready to drink at bottling. The wine blanket is a good idea and are used by many. Good luck

Bill

Hopefully you find this post as I just move it here. So welcome to our forum and we are so glad to have you as a member and you will find plenty of help and the friendliest people also.

Customer service is a top priority at FVW and also here on the forum and we have many members who can answer any question you might have or I know where to find the answer.

Here is a post that might help with the temp issue in the basement.

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1 023&PN=1

Masta (and of course the others who replied), Thank you for the link to the other posts suggesting heating blankets, etc. as an option. I was considering that and it is nice to know it isn't a crazy idea. I will get the hang of where to post messages soon. Thank you! Edited by: leelanau

Is that Leelanau, Michigan? If so we're neighbors! Sure
looks like your lighthouse. I'm in Spring Lake.
Welcome....I lurk most of the time but learn a lot from these amazing
people. :)

You'll have a super time with these fine folks-- welcome! And, if you have a thrift store or similar nearby, you can find a heat pad that'll work great. I found one and hesitated after being told it was "a dollar..." and the clerk said "but today, it's 50 cents!" Can't beat that and works great!

smiley36.gif

Welcome to the forum, you'll learn lots of good advice here, like read the instructions. Don't be afraid to ask questions, you'll get a quick, honest reply, probably from many people, and everyone will think better of you for having asked such thought provoking things.

Steve

Sally3, Yes - it is Leelanau as in Leelanau Peninsula. I am in Grand Rapids. Hi, neighbor! I talked to a local person last night who has been making wine sine 1980. I learned even more during that conversation. Have you been making wine a while?

I think I need a wine cooler. Trying to keep my house below 80 degrees
when the kitchen remodelling people are in and the doors are open and it
90 outside.I have it tough you know.
smiley2.gif
Edited by: peterCooper

peterCooper said:
I think I need a wine cooler. Trying to keep my house below 80 degrees
when the kitchen remodelling people are in and the doors are open and it
90 outside.I have it tough you know.
smiley2.gif

I'm with Peter, being in South Louisiana makes it interesting in temp control at times. The wife keep the house cold and I am sure at times at night it dips to the high 50's to low 60's, I know I freeze when I get up in the morning.

I can't have a basement here and sure miss them. If I had one here we would have to call it an indoor pool as you can stub your toe here outside and hit water. Guess living below sea level has that effect. I have to perfom all my wine making tasks in the kitchen and dining room.

And BTW, welcome to the forums. We like nice people.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back