Advice on using Fruit wine bases

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pightr

Reaction score
I have only finished one kit and have two brewing right now. But for my next back I would like to try out using the Fruit wine bases from vintners harvest. Has anyone made wine from these and if so did you fallow the recipe on the can for a 3 or 5 gallon batch?

I was actually interested in mixing a strawberry and a kiwi can together to make a 6 gallon batch. Would you guys advise mixing the cans or would that not turn out well?? I have read that Wade has done these kits and advises to make 3 gallon batches because the 5 gallon batch was weaker. This is why I was considering mixing two cans to create a 6 gallon batch.

Any ideas?
Advice?

Or if you've made them before are they pretty good? Are they early drinkers which don't need 6months - a year to age?

Thanks again in advance for the help and advice.

They are pretty darn good in the 3 gallon recipe. I have done quite a few of these but neither of these. I would say the Black Currant is by far one of the best wines Ive made. The Blac Berry is also very good along with the cranberry.

They are pretty darn good in the 3 gallon recipe. I have done quite a few of these but neither of these. I would say the Black Currant is by far one of the best wines Ive made. The Blac Berry is also very good along with the cranberry.

Have you ever combined two cans to make a 6 gallon batch? I would like to experiment and see what happens if that is advised but if it will ruin it then I will stick to the 3 gallon batches with the cans.

If you mean combing two differnt then no I havent, if you mean 2 cans for a six gallon batch then all the time!

If you mean combing two differnt then no I havent, if you mean 2 cans for a six gallon batch then all the time!

OO ok so you've used two of the same to make it more potent flavor but have never mixed flavors.. I think I might experiment and mix either a strawberry with kiwi for 6 gallons or make a Apple pear combination. I'll keep you guys posted. If its no good then I will just make 3 gallon batches with one can.

Thanks again for the info!

Hey Pightr! I had the same idea but with a twist. I do have the Kiwi base and will be making the 3 gallon recipe like Wade has suggested but I was thinking about making it with a strawberry Fpac to give it the taste I am trying for (Kiwi with a hint of Strawberry.) I am not starting it for a bit so if you can keep us up to date that would be great!

Hey Pightr! I had the same idea but with a twist. I do have the Kiwi base and will be making the 3 gallon recipe like Wade has suggested but I was thinking about making it with a strawberry Fpac to give it the taste I am trying for (Kiwi with a hint of Strawberry.) I am not starting it for a bit so if you can keep us up to date that would be great!

Sounds like a good idea on your part too! How would you go about making a strawberry F-pack?? I think I'm going to stick with my idea and mix both fruit bases together for a 6 gallon batch. I will keep you guys posted with the progress.

Just an idea, but make 3 gal of each and try blending them to see if you like them that way. That way if you like one or the other but not the blend you will at least have 3 gal you like. Arne.

Just an idea, but make 3 gal of each and try blending them to see if you like them that way. That way if you like one or the other but not the blend you will at least have 3 gal you like. Arne.

Thinking the exact same thing. Do them serarate all the way then sample blend after they are aged to see if you enjoy them.

I have made a blueberry and a plum concentrate. The plum I did as a 5 gallon batch then as an afterthought I wondered if I should have done a 3 gal. batch. It did come out really good. Imagine if it was a 3 gal. batch....could have been fantastic.

Thats a great idea to make them both separate and then fuse them later. Has anyone ever blended their wines with another? Does this really effect the taste and change it to something different? I like the experimental idea of all of this but like you guys said if I mix them together in the beginning and don't like it im out 60 bucks but if I do it separately and combine them might only be out 30.... hmm decisions decisions

That is actually a much better idea as youll be able to more exactly lend the 2 together and it will always vary on the blend as to how much of one eeds to rationed as one is always stronger then another. I should have posted about that but didnt think of it at the time I always tell people to do it this way.

That is actually a much better idea as youll be able to more exactly lend the 2 together and it will always vary on the blend as to how much of one eeds to rationed as one is always stronger then another. I should have posted about that but didnt think of it at the time I always tell people to do it this way.

Thanks again for the advice. I will stick to doing 3 gallon batches of both and mix after they are completed.

Also another question. To make a 3 gallon batch can I use the same bucket I used for my 6 gallon batches? Or do I need to go get a smaller primary? I know I will need to get at least one 3 gallon carboy but still unsure about the primary. Any advice?

Sure you can use the same bucket. From experience, make sure you use a big enough bucket. Shouldn't have any problem with the 3 gal in there, but the bigger batches have been known to come over the sides with a violent fermentation. Don't ask how I know, just take my word for it. lol Arne.

I use 5's for all of my primaries. Use multiple buckets if needed and yes leave space from the top. I use Lalvin which are low foaming but you still need to stir slowly at first and at least twice daily or your bucket will runnith over.

Here's another thought, instead of using water, use apple juice. I make a five gallon Apricot or Plum using apple juice from walmart or sams club. The nice thing about that is if you have to top off after racking, use a little apple juice which is always around.

Here's another thought, instead of using water, use apple juice. I make a five gallon Apricot or Plum using apple juice from walmart or sams club. The nice thing about that is if you have to top off after racking, use a little apple juice which is always around.

Do you use a concentrate or something else. What brands?

Back