Mosti Mondiale Adventures in Port Style WIne Making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started my first attempt at making a Port Style wine today. I am beginning with a Mosti Mondiale Renaissance Amarone with Raisings kit. I sure hope it turns out OK because the kit is really a super one. I am starting it almost like the normal kit. I added an extra pack of EC-1118 yeast to get it a good solid yeast population for the higher alcohol. The starting SG was good and high to begin with at 1.100. Once it gets going good, I will adjust up again with extra sugar so I end up with about 17-18%ABV and maybe a touch of residual sugar. If I keep going the route I plan on, I will fortify in the end with Blackberry or Blackraspberry brandi in 3 gallons and Orange brandy in the other three gallons. I will then add Swiss Chocolate Almond liquor flavoring to each so I end up with two kinds of flavored Ports.

I'm not sure how it will turn out but I will give progress reports as I go along. Here are a few pictures of the beginning steps.

20071223_110708_100_3493_Small.JPG

20071223_110906_100_3494_Small.JPG

20071223_111116_100_3496_Medium.JPG

20071223_111248_100_3497_Small.JPG
Edited by: appleman

I know with the La Bodega they recommend fortifying with Apricot brandy in the instructions. Sounds really good!

Wade this is a regular wine kit, not a Port. I want to see if I can come anywhere near close to a Port Style on my own. How did the LaBodega turn out, or isn't that one you did? I don't remember. I'm not sure how hard it will be finding an orange brandy, but I'm going to look. I also got some orange liquor flavoring to supplemant it. If I can't find orange I may go with Apricot. That tastes good too.

I knew that you were not making a kit Port so to say and that you were going it on your own and i have my La Bodega clarifying waiting to put in the F-Pack. I was just stating what they had listed on their instructions as an idea for you to ponder. I just noticed that the instructions had that little tid bit this morning as I was starting my Winery series kit and figured while I was down there to see where i stand with the port and see if I needed to add the f-pack yet but not until the 29th even though it looks like all sediment has dropped.

Thanks for the tip Wade. I can use all the help I can get on this one. I'm going to have to go brandy shopping pretty soon and see what's available locally. Maybe some Grand Marnier would have the right flavor. What's in the F-Pack for the LaBodega Wade? Any idea?

It just says Porto Flavoring on it! Ancient Chinese secret I guess.

Appleman you picked an excellent kit to try this with. I drew a sample of mine today, only been bulk aging a couple of weeks now, and WOW. I was immediately hit with the twang of the bitter, that I expected, but the burst of fruit flavors afterwords was incredible! I can't imagine how good this one is going to be with a year, and then two years on it! Really glad I went with the Meglioli Amarone for January, just can't imagine anything better at this point!

I'm glad you agree with my choice for the base wine. I thought about this a lot and tried to come up with a wine that would be in the general character of a Port wine. While not a Portugese wine, I think this one will come close. The juice smells great. The Red Raisins it came with I had to taste since others said they taste like regular raisins. The closest I have had to these would be the Muscat Raisins my mother used to get to make Muscat Raisin Pie. They were a lot larger than normal raisins and had a different flavor- Muscat I assume. As kids we would joke and say she was making Mushrat Raisin pie.

Sounds like a great way to do a home made port appleman.

Because you are taking a wine that usually finishes out in the 15% range normally, Raising the Sg a little to get a couple extra ABV may not be a problem, Flavor wise, otherwise I would highly recommend using a 1/2 cup per gallon of the light malt. I found that it hides the higher alcohol or "hot" taste almost completely. My first batch of Port I was able to ferment and fortify fortify to 30% ABV, second batch was 22% and this last batch was at 24% ABV and I added an extra 1/4 cup per gallon and it turned out fantastic!

The Malt also helps to give the port a lot more body.

I have gotten sum of the malt damp to see what it does, and it hardens like candy, Malted candy. I'm wondering, if you going for that Chocolate taste in some, if you just couldn't use Malted milk balls in the secondary? Kind of joking there, but I might have to try that..........

That surely is powerful port wine you made Jobe. I'm shooting for about 20% so it won't need raising much. The malt is probably a good idea instead of plain sugar. It can really cake when it gets moist. I did a batch of beer once that had a little hole in the bag of malt. It took up summer moisture and was like a brick when I added it. It had to be boiled to dissolve and that took a while.

Bubbling happily away this AM.

appleman said:
I started my first attempt at making a Port Style wine today. I am beginning with a Mosti Mondiale Renaissance Amarone with Raisings kit. I sure hope it turns out OK because the kit is really a super one. I am starting it almost like the normal kit. I added an extra pack of EC-1118 yeast to get it a good solid yeast population for the higher alcohol. The starting SG was good and high to begin with at 1.100. Once it gets going good, I will adjust up again with extra sugar so I end up with about 17-18%ABV and maybe a touch of residual sugar. If I keep going the route I plan on, I will fortify in the end with Blackberry or Blackraspberry brandi in 3 gallons and Orange brandy in the other three gallons. I will then add Swiss Chocolate Almond liquor flavoring to each so I end up with two kinds of flavored Ports.

I'm not sure how it will turn out but I will give progress reports as I go along. Here are a few pictures of the beginning steps.

20071223_110708_100_3493_Small.JPG

20071223_110906_100_3494_Small.JPG

20071223_111116_100_3496_Medium.JPG

20071223_111248_100_3497_Small.JPG
I understand what your doing with the Amarone and the raisins but what flavors are you trying to extract from having your old socks in there? HeHeHe!

wade said:
I understand what your doing with the Amarone and the raisins but what flavors are you trying to extract from having your old socks in there? HeHeHe!

I'm going for a little of the Pinot "Earthiness".
I used a pair of old sweat socks from my well used walking shoes.
smiley4.gif

Seriously for those who don't know that we are joking, the thing he is referring to is a straining bag to hold the raisins. I tie it off and drape over the edge and close the bag in the cover so it doesn't drop in all the way. It makes raisin retrieval a snap later. All you need to do is wring out the raisins in the bag after the 5 or six days Mosti wants them in there.

appleman, I would recommend a heavy toast french oak in the bulk aging stage on at least one batch of these and might even get a bottle or two of a fairly decent cab orShirazto blend with it. I think that would add tremendously to the complexity.

You are onto something there Waldo. Those 2 bags on the left are indeed French Oak included with the kit. I could add some of the Trinity Red- that's a blend of Cab Franc, Cab Sauv and Merlot.

I'm wondering why you're using this kit instead of the La Bodega Port kit? It's really yummy.

Phyllis I am doing it this way because I can
smiley36.gif
With my vineyard coming into a decent production, I will be making a lot of wine from grapes, not kits. I am therefore experimenting with methods of winemaking, not just doing kits. The kit gives me a base to use with a lot of the properties I want in this port style wine.

Yes, I understand now. Do you stop fermentation to trap some residual sugars with the brandy like port is made? Or are you going to let it ferment dry and add your brandy at the end. Mosti has you ferment dry and then add the flavor pack. The bag with the secret flavor ingredients that Nino has come up with is dynamite! I won a silver medal at the winemakersmag contest 2 years ago with it. My old marketing guy was nuts about this kit. I think I could've paid him in Port and he would've been happy.

I will be letting it go as dry as it gets. I added 1 pound worth of sugar syrup today and when it gets low again, if it is still going good I will add at least another (already made up waiting addition in a bottle). I will then fortify with flavored brandy and some liquor quick flavorings and we will see what else. It would be nice if he sold the flavor packs.

What about the syrups they use to flavor coffee with, would they work ok in a wine?

Latest posts

Back