Adjusting PH before inoculating

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewToHeugh

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm new to this so bare with me. I've crushed my grapes and have had it outside in the cold for a week. Brought the barrel back inside today to get it back to room temp before pitching the yeast. My question is... If I adjust the PH and TA, can I pitch the yeast on the same day? What are some general amounts of tartaric acid to reduce/increase ph/ta levels? Thank you!

CORRECTION: barrel has actually been inside for 2 days total. It was outside for approx. 5 days at 50-60 degree weather.

Last edited:
ShawnDTurner said:
Yes you can pitch yeast after adjustment. What are your PH/TA values?

Well I after I crushed I had a TA of only 30% and PH 5.6

So I actually opened unwrapped the cheesecloth and it already started fermenting! OG Brix was 24 and it's now at 19! It's been inside for 2 days! I just pitched my yeast without adjusting TA or PH but from what I understand this can be done after 2nd fermentation right?

Wow a ph of 5.6 what did you measure with? Does not sound right and a TA of 30% do you mean .3?

Your ph should never be 5.6!!!!!! Sounds like whatever you are measuring with is in accurate

Agreed, you need to recheck your pH. Also, if this is a red, MLF will reduce acidity. The pH reading you show indicates very low acidity. It is unlikely to be that low.

GEM said:
Agreed, you need to recheck your pH. Also, if this is a red, MLF will reduce acidity. The pH reading you show indicates very low acidity. It is unlikely to be that low.

My friend accidentally bought test strips that range from 4.5-8 I believe. He tested it twice. I'm buying the Milwaukee PH tester. Should I adjust as usual after 2nd fermentation? Any special steps?

ShawnDTurner said:
you need to know your Ph and TA before you do anything.

Of course. I have acid test kit and I'm getting a better PH reader. I just need to know if there's any special steps when adjusting post fermentation.

Wait till its done now... C02 from ferment is going to throw PH and TA numbers way off.
When its de-gassed check both measurements with a PH meter
You can add Tartaric acid carefully to adjust both measurements, post ferment, to the desired levels although PH may or may not move the amount you want.

Don't add any unless you have a very accurate method to test however or you may overshoot the additions and ruin the wine.

LoveTheWine said:
Wait till its done now... C02 from ferment is going to throw PH and TA numbers way off. When its de-gassed check both measurements with a PH meter You can add Tartaric acid carefully to adjust both measurements, post ferment, to the desired levels although PH may or may not move the amount you want. Don't add any unless you have a very accurate method to test however or you may overshoot the additions and ruin the wine.

I'd imagine this is tricky since at this point oxygen is the wines worst friend. Any methods?

bench trial is best. make 4-5 samples of a measured 1/4 cup=60ml. make a solution of 10 grams tartaric to 100ml distilled water. make first sample control. add 1 ml to next sample, two ml to next sample , 3 ml to next sample and so on. taste sample to your desired taste. 1 ml addition is equal to one gram per liter of base wine. once addition determined. take another sample size of a half bottle add the calculated acid let it sit for one week and taste again if fine add to calculated acid to base wine.

If acid is to high, take a liter of base wine. insert probe of Ph meter. add potassium carbonate 1 gram at a time stir well wait until foam dissipates, taste if desired measure ph, continue additions to adjust ph to nominal 3.4-3.6 or as taste dictates. add calculated amount to base wine.

alternate to potassium carbonate add sugar syrup make a syrup 2 cups sugar to one cup hot water. let water cool. set up samples as above. use 1/4 tsp in second sample, 1/2 tsp in next, 3/4 tsp in next etc. taste and select desired sample. make up larger sample equal to half bottle add calculated amount and let sit for a week taste again to verify results if fine add to base wine insure addition of K meta and potassium sorbate. wait two week after adding sugar to insure fermentation does not restart then bottle. wine will not be sweet sugar syrup balance against acid will also improve flavor.

sal said:
bench trial is best. make 4-5 samples of a measured 1/4 cup=60ml. make a solution of 10 grams tartaric to 100ml distilled water. make first sample control. add 1 ml to next sample, two ml to next sample , 3 ml to next sample and so on. taste sample to your desired taste. 1 ml addition is equal to one gram per liter of base wine. once addition determined. take another sample size of a half bottle add the calculated acid let it sit for one week and taste again if fine add to calculated acid to base wine. If acid is to high, take a liter of base wine. insert probe of Ph meter. add potassium carbonate 1 gram at a time stir well wait until foam dissipates, taste if desired measure ph, continue additions to adjust ph to nominal 3.4-3.6 or as taste dictates. add calculated amount to base wine. alternate to potassium carbonate add sugar syrup make a syrup 2 cups sugar to one cup hot water. let water cool. set up samples as above. use 1/4 tsp in second sample, 1/2 tsp in next, 3/4 tsp in next etc. taste and select desired sample. make up larger sample equal to half bottle add calculated amount and let sit for a week taste again to verify results if fine add to base wine insure addition of K meta and potassium sorbate. wait two week after adding sugar to insure fermentation does not restart then bottle. wine will not be sweet sugar syrup balance against acid will also improve flavor.

This is great. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! Where did you find this info? I'd like to look into it some more. Also - I'm a bit concerned because I know the wine samples will taste harsh to me and nothing like i would imagine so should I measure the best tasting sample for its TA and PH before trying the bottle in a week? Thanks again

Latest posts

Back