WineXpert Adding Marbles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rzevskiy7777

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone know where I can find marbles in Vancouver to use for topping off my wine during secondary?

Most hobby stores, like Hobby Lobby, which I don't now if you have them or not, have flower and artificial flower sections. They will have glass marbles there. Be sure to use unpainted glass marbles and sanitize them each time you use them.

I just read about using marbles to top off for the first time. I understand when making with fruit, but with kits, I have this strong urge to follow instructions, and it sounds like they say to add water.

I am new, and this is interesting to me...I assume this is to keep the wine strong and less diluted? Is there some other reason?

I was able to get all the marbles I needed at the dollar store.

Be sure to sanitize them!

Are you not afraid of using marbles in glass carboy? Can it be broken by them?

Are you not afraid of using marbles in glass carboy? Can it be broken by them?

That is the reason that I stopped using them, Wookey. I was concerned that I could fracture the carboy inserting them. I have gone to a step wise reduction the volume of my storage vessels (e.g. 6.5 gal to 6 gal to 5 gal plus a half, etc.) and I find this a better solution.

Back