Adding hops to wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manicmethod

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone ever added hops to wine? I am a hophead and have done 1 batch of wine. I was thinking about adding hops to my next batch (kit).

I was thinking I could boil a small amount of the grape extract on the stove with a small amount of bittering hops and then throw some extra in the fermenter like dry hops.

Any opinions on this? Has someone tried and and had to dump the batch?

I would try something like Maywine first. There, you add sweet woodruff to a white wine. You could take a white wine, add some hops, put in the fridge for a day, then taste. The Greeks also made something called retsina, that had pine resin flavors. While I've heard hops don't go well with wine, if herbs and pine resin can work, hops might just work. At least with this method, you are out one bottle of white rather than a whole batch.

I'm not sure if the lower pH of wine would prevent the absorbtion of alpha acid in a boil anyway.

check out basicwinemaking or basicbeermaking podcast The guys put hops in a wine and make a video about it.

Latest posts

Back