Adding chocolate to wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Julie Rocks :h
I have 3 a gallon batch of sweet Cherry that I just stabilized last weekend. I think I need to make a trip to wally world today and try this.

Julie Rocks :h
I have 3 a gallon batch of sweet Cherry that I just stabilized last weekend. I think I need to make a trip to wally world today and try this.

I have used 8 oz Hershey's Syrup to wine that is clear and stabilized. Add your syrup, gently stir and place airlock. It will drop out pretty quickly, then rack the wine. You may need to repeat the racking 1 or 2 more times over a week. Works wonders. You CAN also use dry chocolate powder, unsweetened, like Hershey's regular or Special Dark, add 2-4oz per gallon at the start of your wine...but check the pH BEFORE adding the chocolate not after. You will get ALOT of chocolate sludge as the wine progresses but racking will take care of it. The thing to realize is adding chocolate in powder form or solid typically takes 1 year to break down the acids in the chocolate and give you a nice smooth wine. If you are interested in a chocolate extract, use something like Star Kay White Chocolate extract, it is FABULOUS and it can be added to wine just prior to bottling.

Thank you saramc! The star kay white chocolate sound real good. All of the idea's sound good. Now i just need to figure out which one to try!

Looks really interesting. I have never tried drinking a wine with that flavor,and doesn't even know if it exist. but I think its a great idea for something new. Anyways, Thank you for sharing.

One of Jack Kellers recent blogs has a list of chocolates to add to make wine with and how to do it. We added some milk chocolate to an elderberry, it was fantastic, but we had to fine out the milk cassein to get it clear again. Crackedcork

chocolate in your wine

One of Jack Kellers recent blogs has a list of chocolates to add to make wine with and how to do it. We added some milk chocolate to an elderberry, it was fantastic, but we had to fine out the milk cassein to get it clear again. Crackedcork

Here is the link to his blog, it is in the 2/5/12 portion. He provides a good overview of using cocoa powder, and as always provides some recipes... http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/wineblognew.asp

Just remember, depending on which chocolate route you choose it WILL impact how soon you can consume. The cocoa powder takes the longest, while the extract can be added at bottling. The StarKayWhite line of extracts are "the" extract of choice for most chefs and many commercial manufacturers who use extract for flavor enhancement.

You can definitely find chocolate wines in commercial stores now. I tend to see them either in a section all alone or with the ports; but I have not yet found any using fruit other than grapes. And to tell the truth the homemade chocolate wines usually win hands down over the commercial when you have both available for tasting amongst friends (at least my friends). There are also commercial kits with chocolate: Chocolate Raspberry Port, White Chocolate White Port, Orange Chocolate Port, etc.

You can definitely find chocolate wines in commercial stores now. I tend to see them either in a section all alone or with the ports; but I have not yet found any using fruit other than grapes. And to tell the truth the homemade chocolate wines usually win hands down over the commercial when you have both available for tasting amongst friends (at least my friends). There are also commercial kits with chocolate: Chocolate Raspberry Port, White Chocolate White Port, Orange Chocolate Port, etc.

Thanks for the idea. I'll try looking for it so that I can even taste it. At least.

Latest posts

Back