A month of tastings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Wade, it was started in July of 2007 and bottled in March of 2008 and shortly after I started letting them sit in the carboy for a year. Now most kits or fresh juice sit in the carboy for 2 years, meads sit even longer. Those mist kits are the exception to the rule.

Day 16 Spanish Tempranillo Cabernet Sauvignon

slestemp_1966_thumb_Desktop_Resolution.jpg

This wine seems to get better and better each time we open a bottle. Big and bold would be the best description. One of only 2 labels that I did not create but I really liked it.

Day 17 Pumpkin Wine

2008_Harvest_Wine_Desktop_Resolution.jpg

I think it needed some spice, kinda boring but all gone now.

Day 18 CC Argentine Malbec

2008_Malbec_Desktop_Resolution.jpg

Yes that Malbec that was in such limited supply for so long. Oh and it's pretty good.

Was this the RJS limited edition? I have 2 magnums left of this. Loved it!!!!!!

Wade yes its the same and I've enjoyed mine as well, however not tonight. My fault, should not have followed my Orange Juice with the wine.
smiley5.gif

John I make all the labels myself. Well all except 2, an OCP and the Spanish Tem/Cab above.

Day 20 Montagnac Vieux Chateau d'Oc

2008_Crushendo_Montagnac_Vieux_Chateau_dOc_Desktop_Resolution.jpg

No OJ this evening... Have a love/hate relationship with this one. Today I like it.

Day 21 Canadian Old Vine Riesling

2008_Canadian_Old_Vine_Riesling_Desktop_Resolution.jpg

The best dry Riesling ever! Is as good today as when I first made this one and only a couple of bottles left. Sure wish RJS would do this one again.

Day 22 Apple Tatin White Port

2010_Apple_Tatin_Desktop_Resolution.jpg

I made this last year thinking maybe for this year and its really good and perhaps will be fantastic next year. The toffee aroma is amazing and I get a bit of a tart apple taste. Going to enjoy this bottle but next year I think its going to shine.

I'll add it was relaxing sitting outside on the beautiful Florida evening and enjoying this port.Hope the weather in your part of the world is just as beautiful.

Day 23 Cayenne Mead

2008_Cayenne_Mead_Desktop_Resolution.jpg

I made this as kind of a joke for hubby and both of us thought it would make as the least a nice marinade. While it will make a nice marinade, it is unlikely to be used that way. This stuff is darn good, not hot, burn your mouth but will make a nice sipping wine on a cold night. This is why you should consider playing with your food.

Day 24 Black Mead

2010_Black_Mead_Desktop_Resolution.jpg

Young and not bottled at this time but I've had a small bottle left over to taste.
Merry Christmas everyone.

Wade I used 1 can of the VH Black Currant and OBH and water to 5 1/2 gallons and an SG of 1090. I really didn't pay attention to exactly how much I used since I always have extra on hand when I make meads.

that sounds really good and I have a 6 gallon bucket full of OBH in my cellar just begging me to do something with it.

Mine sure tastes like if given the time it's going to be a winner. I made this because my sisters about cleaned out by Black Currant Wine. They don't know about this one and since all but that extra is still safely stored in a carboy, I'll be able to let it age. I added some sweet orange peel and some light french oak.

Back