A Bright Idea - Not

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyP

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I got a great idea. To make cleaning / sanitizing easier, I put my regularly used equipment in a large sealed bin (after cleaning / sanitizing everything) together with one of my sponges. When I opened my bin today the first thing a reached for was the sponge and noticed it was still damp - two weeks later. I looked over the equipment and noticed MOLD on everything: the tubes, siphon, spoon, whip, hydrometer, thermometer, cylinders, beakers, wine thief, bungs, and airlocks. The bin inside wall had mold and even some fuzzy stuff. Not a lot of visible mold but something on almost everything, and any is, of course, too much.

Now I've cleaned everything twice and converted the bin into a corkidor-like holder with K-meta. Tomorrow I'll sanitize with Star San. Although I believe I've handled it, any thoughts on anything further to clear out the mold? I don't want to use chlorine or iodophor unless I have to.

I take it my mistake was in failing to make certain everything was dry. Is sealed storage worthwhile?

Tony P.

Sealed storage is definitely OK, as long as you add the open Kmeta container (like a corkidor) or fill the container with Kmeta fumes (spray right before you seal it up.

You must live in a humid area.

Sealed storage is definitely OK, as long as you add the open Kmeta container (like a corkidor) or fill the container with Kmeta fumes (spray right before you seal it up.

You must live in a humid area.

I had the bin in an extra bedroom closet. Indoor humidity is in the 50s. I think the problem was putting the damp sponge in and not making certain everything was dry.

I've emailed Five Star to ask if Star San kills mold spores.

Tony P.

I would just simply clean the equipment and leave it in an uncovered bin.

If you are like me, you will not assume that equipment after being unused for a year. I always end up washing everything before use anyway.

I find that it helps to leave a small amount of k-meta solution WITH citric acid in the mix the the bottom of any sealed containers. The fumes of this combination alone does wonders at preventing mold development.

Latest posts

Back