56% alicante 29% syrah 15% rubired

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gird123

Reaction score
So i picked up juice 56% alicante 29% syrah 15% rubired.

sg. 20.3 ta 0.74 ph 3.5. I added sugar to 23 brix, 2 tbs of ground oak, and red star pastuer red yeast.
I split the fermentation in to 8 6.5 gallon buckets approx 5 gallons in each.
Then i added 12 lbs of tempranillo (23 brix) to 4 of them
I added 5 lbs of elder berries to one.
2 lbs of raisins to one.
And 2 just juice the juice.

does that sound ok. Has anyone made Alicante. I know the sg was low and the acidity is a little high. Should i adjust the acidity at all? Should it be ok?

sg 20.3 You must mean Brix 20.3.

Sorry, I have never made an Alicante.
Your acid will drop a point during fermentation. The raisins will raise the SG a little in the containers in which you added them.

I normally stir before I go to work and when I get home while its in primary fermentation. Gets oxygen to the yeast and keeps the foam/cap punched down.

I normally stir before I go to work and when I get home while its in primary fermentation. Gets oxygen to the yeast and keeps the foam/cap punched down.

Since this is juice and not thick, grape skin filled must, twice a day is adequate.
Other wise, I would add stirring it again at bed time. It's typically a long time between the time one gets off work until one gets up in the morning.

Racked yesterday. Everything was between 1.015 and 1.005. I filled my carboys to the middle of the shoulder thinking i gave them plenty of room. They were all mini fountains. What a mess. So today i'm taking the 10 carboys out of my fermentation fridge and cleaning the carboys and fridge.

I used 1/2 cup of french oak (approx 2 oz) per 6 gallon carboy.

What temp does every one ferment secondary at. I had it at 72 when the mini fountains started i turned it down to 65ish. They are still bubbling like crazy, just not bubbling over.

I have not done any with crushed grapes. I think when i pressed the grapes it released a lot of extra sugar that i did not account for.

What temp does every one ferment secondary at. I had it at 72 when the mini fountains started i turned it down to 65ish. They are still bubbling like crazy, just not bubbling over.

I have not done any with crushed grapes. I think when i pressed the grapes it released a lot of extra sugar that i did not account for.

The temperature for secondary should be mid to high end of the specified temperature range for the yeast you used to ferment. I like to keep the temperature mid to high end, so that the yeast will have plenty of heat to finish well. make sure you have the wine sealed under an air lock.

So for the second fermentation I was going to use 15 gal carboys. Do you guys fill all the way to the top and put an airlock or only 3/4 and put airlock? Just wondering if the must will overflow if I fill the carboys all the way up.

So for the second fermentation I was going to use 15 gal carboys. Do you guys fill all the way to the top and put an airlock or only 3/4 and put airlock? Just wondering if the must will overflow if I fill the carboys all the way up.

During secondary fermentation, CO2 is still being generated, so topping off the carboy is not necessary. After secondary, the carboy must be kept topped off.

It is different for each wine. I have not had any over flow when i rack at 1.015 and fill all the way up, then last week i racked my Alicante and it went everywhere I would leave some room in the carboy then in a few days after the sg is 1.000 rack up. That is what i'm doing from now on.

Back