5 gallon kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
Does any company make a 5 gallon recipe kits or are they all 6 gallons?

I am trying to avoid buying new glass carboys when I already have two glass 5 gal ones.

I would try to find a couple 1 gallon jugs somewhere. There are some commodity grade California wines that come in gallon jugs. Some commercial food vendors buy flavors in 1 gallon jugs.

Heck, I have a whole box of those. Didn't know if I could split it that way though.

Sure if you split it 5 and 1, it leaves you with a gal to use as top up the 5 gal. when racking and also a little for quality control. Arne.

Just need to get a 7 gallon primary now.
Get a minimum 7.9 US gallon primary. You will probably grow into grape skin kits and need the extra space. Personally I'm using 11 US gallon primaries. No problem with space, and no overflow issues when I stir vigourously.

Steve

I suppose I have to get that at a wine making supply? My primaries came from the home store, but 5 max is all I can get. :/

Some people on the forums use Rubbermaid Brute garbage cans. I believe that there is a 20 US gallon model. Try searching the forum to see what folks have said.

PS, some folks (like me) won't use a primary that didn't come from an LHBS. Concern that the alcohol will mix incorrectly with the plastic.

Steve

You can split the primary into two buckets. I almost always have to as I make fruit wines and the fruit takes up a lot of space. Arne.

You can never have too many carboys.......there not that expensive and you never know when you might slip and drop one.

You can never have too many carboys.......there not that expensive and you never know when you might slip and drop one.

...or a more positive spin, you could be given a bunch of some truit or garpes and want to make it into wine. Having too many carboys is like having too much money.

Latest posts

Back