RJ Spagnols 3 Year Old Wine....Much Better Then I Remember.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
I recently decided to start making wine again after a few years off. While I was looking through the equipment that I had, and what I wanted to replace, I came across a few bottles of wine that somehow I must have forgot about. Not like me at all, so Im not sure how that happened. Anyways, the wine was a few bottles ofGrand Cru Pinot Gris (the only white I ever made), a few bottles of Grand Cru Pinot Noir, 1 bottle of Cru Select Zinfandel, 1 bottle of WE (I believe Selection) Domains Des Brumes (not sure if thats the proper spelling, and the kit is discontinued). None of these wines had any extra K-meta added except for what came in the kit. I have to say, I will never underestamate the importance of time ever again. These wines are really really good. Every single one of them is MUCH better then I remeber them being. Now I have not tried the Zin yet, but the others have been unreal for what they are. The GC are only 10L kits and the wine has turned into a really good wine. I mean dont get me wrong, I never thought thtey were bad at 9 months, but they have got alot better. The one that suprised me the most was the Pinot Gris. As soon as I opened the bottle, the boquet was pretty awesome, floral mellon air freshner just like it was supposed to be. The taste was a really smooth green mellon apple with a very slight very very slight off dryfinish (that was not there when it was 9 months old)of vanilla, I am not a white wine drinker, but I really like this wine. So much that I may make a Pinot Grigio in the future. The others were all really good also the Pinot Noir had a slight spice to it that definately was not there the last I remeber it.Sorry about the novel i just turned this into, but I am now a very very firm believer in if something isnt what you wanted it to be immediately, put it away and forget about it, it will probably get there.

Great writeup.
I am new to home wine making and am glad to hear that kit wine can be really good, if aged.

Good report and observations! Thanks for the update.
smiley1.gif

well.............

what a nice thing to read..so many times..its all about....uh-oh this or that bad thing happenned ......your post ought to be linked every time that a new person has this or that fear (and their fears are understandable) ...and it should be link to anytime we discuss aging and waiting
ps if you would like me to corroborate your story feel free to rush deliver one bottle to me :)

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the read. I have a glass of the Cru Select Zin in front of me as I type this. Its not the same wine that it was. Now I have to say this being the larger of the kits, it was the very last wine I had made, and to be honest I did drink it way too young, right around the 7 - 10 month area. It is now a Zin. While a little thinnner then what I would of liked, its a very fruit forward kind if jammyblackberry strawberry, and has a nice faint pepper spice finish, not as bold as some of the commercial zins I enjoy (namely the 7 Deadly Zins) but a nice wine nonetheless. I am so glad I stumbled on these. It has given me so much more appreciation of this whole winemaking hobby to know that if you can really be patient and let it age you can really make a nice wine that truely represents the varietal. These were all smaller kits, I know believe without a doubt that the bigger grape skin kits would be and are worth every penny if you devote the time to them.

Latest posts

Back