3 Months in the Bottle and Slightly Carbonated

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desquared

Junior
Reaction score
9 months ago, I started my first kit wine, a WinExpert Coastal White. Followed the instructions, let it sit to bulk age for 6 months, and it's been in the bottles for 3 months now. I've enjoyed about 1/3 of the batch.

I opened a bottle last night and found it was slightly carbonated (some bubbles sticking to the side of the wine glass). Now when I made this, I did degas it (I whipped the *&^% out of it with my drill and paddle for 40 minutes or so before bulk aging) but apparently, that was not enough.

Is there anything I can do to correct this for the Coastal White that's the bottles now? Should I do anything for the Chocolate Raspberry port that's bulk aging now

Pouring it into a decanter and letting is sit for a few minutes or through an aerator might help. You could do something as simple and crude as shaking the bottle after opening it (with the top covered, of course).

How is the wine, otherwise? I'm curious as to why you chose to whip it so long. Is it because you had that much gas or that you didn't have gas and continued to whip it? If you chose to whip it for that long, I'd be careful going forward. Using a drill to whip wine is easier than by hand but you run the risk of adding air to the process which can ruin the wine.

Shaking it in the bottle was something I did last night after drinking half. That did get the extra CO2 out of solution, but it was somewhat disconcerting to have a "head" on the wine in the bottle

Rocky -

The bottles I've had tasted fine. I whipped it that long because this was my first kit and I was not sure what I was doing.

Back