20 gallon brute

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvin

Reaction score
I am doing my first "double batch". 12 gallons of dragon blood in my new 20 gallon brute. I took the time filling my carboy twice to see exactly where 12 gallons is. Turns out it is almost exactly at the first rib in the molding. Coincidence? I think not. Turns out it's fate that I make wine 12 gallons at a time instead of 6. And my new brute is just the trash can for the job!ImageUploadedByWine Making1415160440.324231.jpg

However I have a 1 gallon glass jug that I filled my 6 gallon carboy with. I would say it took 6.2 one gallon jugs to fill my 6 gallon carboy

Either way I'm going with the 12 gallon rib on my new brute :)

"Little"? Come on. This is "huge"! For me anyway. I know most winemakers (other than home winemakers) do much larger batches than 6 gallons. But I just doubled production for about $20. So I am excited! Can't wait to bottle 5 cases out of one batch!!! Good news is I've had 36 oz. of skeeter pee while mixing up the new batch! Goodnight!

Skeeter pee is so good, easy to drink, that is a bit hard to remember if you have it at 10 percent alcohol 36 oz. is about 3.6 oz. of pure alcohol. I have learned that lesson the hard way more than once. Maybe not learned the lesson. LOL. Anyway, drink it down and have fun with it. Try not to abuse it, tho, as it will bite back in the morning. Three bottles will make you sleep good, tho. Arne.

Will you be doubling up on everything but the yeast?

Are you planning to use a brew belt to get/keep the must temperature up? Could temp. control be an issue when doing 12 gallons in the larger bucket?

Thanx...

Ps. Think I would have measured using two fills of my regular size primary bucket.

"Little"? Come on. This is "huge"! For me anyway. I know most winemakers (other than home winemakers) do much larger batches than 6 gallons. But I just doubled production for about $20. So I am excited! Can't wait to bottle 5 cases out of one batch!!! Good news is I've had 36 oz. of skeeter pee while mixing up the new batch! Goodnight!

The 20 is the little brother to the 44 gallon brute :). And to think some people use them to put trash in!

The pee beat me up pretty good. Rough morning for me. 24oz might be my limit for a weeknight.

I doubled everything including the yeast. Pitched it this morning.

No brew belt. My winery is our laundry/mechanical room so it stays pretty warm. 70-74 degrees usually

Bkisel, my primary would have worked perfectly for the job. I think the pee may have clouded my thinking. Because that would have been a no brainer

Last edited:
My 20G is perfect for 4 lugs of California grapes, or 8 lugs of Chilean.

So the white are food grade too? I usually see people using the darker gray ones.

"Gray, White and Yellow trash containers are USDA Meat and Poultry Equipment Group listed and assist with complying HACCP guidelines."

Not sure what this means but it's all I could find online in a quick search

The gray ones are 32 gallons and 44 gallons. I use 50 - 32 gallon ones for my small batch production. Soon I will have larger fermenters, but it works well to rotate through them during the month of harvest.

I wish there was a cheap Home Depot fix for Carboys too

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I wish there was a cheap Home Depot fix for Carboys too

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

In what department in Home Depot do you find the Brute buckets? Last time I was @ HD none of the several associates I asked knew about the Brute buckets and I could not find them in the aisles they said to try.

Thanx...

In what department in Home Depot do you find the Brute buckets? Last time I was @ HD none of the several associates I asked knew about the Brute buckets and I could not find them in the aisles they said to try.

Thanx...
I ordered mine on homedepot.com, free delivery to the store. I chose white, well I guess just because it looks more sanitary.

I ordered mine on homedepot.com, free delivery to the store. I chose white, well I guess just because it looks more sanitary.

Thanks. Found it using your link and then searching for "Brute 20". I can use the "Ship to Store Free" just as you did.

I took the time filling my carboy twice to see exactly where 12 gallons is.

Unless you know where exactly 6 gallons is on the carboy, using them to measure is not a good ideal. Better to weigh out one gallon at a time. 8.33 pounds, or 8 pounds 5.3 ounces.

I hope you have a AI1. I would hate to try and move 12 gallons (100 pounds).

Interesting. I just looked at the HD website and the 20G is listed as "online only". Of course, you can ship to store for free. For items that are available in store, the site actually tells you which aisle and location it is in.

And there's always this, with free shipping for Prime members:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KDC1WC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back