100% Elderberry Juice is Awesome

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracked Cork

Reaction score
Thanks to NorthernWinos suggestions on here we decided last year in October to do a 100% steamed elderberry wine, 5 gallons, 50 lb of elderberries. We used K1V-116 and started at 1.090 and fed the yeast a little bit a few times. This weekend it was nice and clear and we bottled. From reading about how long 100% elderberry would take to get drinkable we were sure it would be years before we could touch this. But, we also used the steamer to make jelly this summer, 100% elderberry juice jelly was fantastic so we hoped our bulk aging wine would be also. It was, smooth and packed with fruity tastes and balanced in tannins instead of being overwhelmingly tannic if we would have do it the old way on the berries. And we also did a blackberry elderberry 100% juice in the steamer and it was one of the best wines we have made.

Thanks NW

Crackedcork

Did you seperate the berries from the stems before steaming them Cracked?

Sounds good...I bet those wines are full flavored.....

Hope to have enoughb erries someday to try that too....
smiley4.gif

HI Waldo and NW, yeah we picked them right off the stems, I know its a pain but we pick about 5 pounds worth after work each day and strip them off in front of the TV. Floor is a little purple but since the wife loves the wine I can get away with it:) We made a bunch of different kinds this year, also good were the dried ones by themselves, a different taste from using the fresh ones, very interesting. Crackedcork

Back