07 Peach Melomel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwwino

Reaction score
I finally met a wine I could not clear. I made a Peach Melomel in 2007. I tried three separate finings, including Superkleer, and could not get rid of the haze. I double filtered it with my minijet filter, and still could not clarify it. Finally, yesterday I threw in the towel. Despite the visual defect, the wine tastes great, so I bottled it and will use it for personal consumption only.

Now the whole story comes out......... It tastes so good he wants it all to himself! Did you try putting it in the freezer/cooler for a couple weeks at slightly below freezing temps? Sometimes that will clear the haze out along with tartrates.

No, I could have done that but I gave up. I have a freezer that I usually cold stabilize all my white grape wines. So you think that would have helped even with a peach melomel?

I suppose I was not too disappointed because I also made a batch of regular peach wine (without honey) from the same 07 crop of peaches and it is superb. Unlike the melomel, it cleared well. My wife said it is so smooth and she is correct.

Maybe try putting a bottle in there so as we'll know! I think the "ole canary in the coal mine" is needed her!

They both sound great as they are, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I have had a couple batches of apple not clear, even with SuperKleer. After a month out in the cold garage they were much better- probably not 100 % clear, but like night and day different.

You lost me with that last comment there Wade..............
smiley5.gif

What does a coal mining bird have to do with wine?
smiley29.gif
smiley8.gif

That bottle will be the test subject like the canary was in the coal mine!

Latest posts

Back