Àdding Oak to Welchs Concord from concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mromilio

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1 gallon batch of Welchs Concord from frozen concentrate that has been stabilized and sorbated, and has been aging for a few weeks in a gallon jug. I decided to add 1/4 ounce of heavy toasted American oak chips to add a little complexity to the wine. I've heard that aging will improve the taste of this wine, but has anyone had experience adding oak to this wine? Wondering if it will help or hurt the taste.

How long should I leave it on the oak chips? I was going to leave it on the oak for a month. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mario

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have the oak chips suspended in a modified plastic tube that my spare hydrometer came in, with some 1/16th holes drilled into it so that it imparts the flavor and they are easy to remove when I feel the oaking is done. I assume you guys agree with my plan to leave it on the oak for about a month?

You think that the plastic used to make the tube is food grade? WVMJ

Now that you mention it, no, I don't think it is food grade. Thanks so much for pointing it out to me..... I will remove the tube immediately, hope that it being in the wine 12 hours or so didn't cause any issues!!

I doubt if it caused any issues in 12 hours. And yes, one month to 6 weeks. Start tasting at one month.

I doubt if it caused any issues in 12 hours. And yes, one month to 6 weeks. Start tasting at one month.

Thanks for the advice,to the both if you. I think you guys just saved my wine! :)

Latest posts

Back