RJ Spagnols Gewurztraminer recommendation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfgoergen

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone tried two or more different Gewurztraminer kits, and had a significant preference. I prefer mine on the spicier sider.

Also, I notice RJS En Primeur has a Gewurztraminer Riesling. Is it more like what I know to be a Gewurztraminer (drier, spicier) or a Riesling (sweeter)?

Thanks,
Pete

I've made the basic RJS Grand Cru Gewurztraminer (style -10 L) kit twice and the GERMAN RIESLING TRAMINER - RJS CRU SELECT (16 L) kit once. Both make a good wine. The Grand Cru seemed to bring out the flavor more with just a small amount of back sweetening. The Riesling-Traminer is a much bigger kit and comes with a decent sized F-PAC. I started by only adding in half the F-PAC after stabilization, but found that you need the whole pac to get the full flavor. This kit is closer to a Gewurztraminer than a Riesling and is one of our favorite kits so far. The price points on these kits was $60 for the Grand Cru and $120 for the Cru Select, but you may find the Cru Select discounted someplace. In my opinion it's worth springing for the Cru Select and I will the next time we need more Gewurztraminer. I think both kits benefit from a little time in the bottle. We thought they tasted good right after bottling, but they are definitely getting better with time.

Has anyone tried two or more different Gewurztraminer kits, and had a significant preference. I prefer mine on the spicier sider.

Also, I notice RJS En Primeur has a Gewurztraminer Riesling. Is it more like what I know to be a Gewurztraminer (drier, spicier) or a Riesling (sweeter)?

Thanks,
Pete

You could add some of the f-pack to primary to wind up with a less-sweet wine.

Thanks,
Pete

I know its the Spagnols thread, but this spring I made the Winexpert Mosel Valley Gewurz, really like it a lot.

Where the Spagnols ones had lemon and grapefruit notes, the Winexpert has more peach and mango notes followed by the spice.

The WE Eclipse Gewurztraminer is nice, though if I had to make it again, I would make it dry. The aroma was a little underwhelming for me. Then again, I've tried some super fragrant commercial examples before, so it may have just been me.

I've only made the WE Eclipse version of G-miner and it's our favorite summer wine. I make it per instructions. This is the wine I will serve whenever I have a diverse gathering and it has always pleased just about everyone, even the big red drinkers like me. I made a couple cases for my son's wedding last month and it got rave reviews. Hint: If you're ever about to meet a hundred strangers, bring cases of wine. It's a great ice breaker.

My palette isn't discerning enough to pull out orange peel taste, but I will say that the lychee flavor comes through, and if you eat an actual lychee and then sip the wine the flavor explosion is worth the price of admission.

I've only made the WE Eclipse version of G-miner and it's our favorite summer wine. I make it per instructions. This is the wine I will serve whenever I have a diverse gathering and it has always pleased just about everyone, even the big red drinkers like me. I made a couple cases for my son's wedding last month and it got rave reviews. Hint: If you're ever about to meet a hundred strangers, bring cases of wine. It's a great ice breaker.

My palette isn't discerning enough to pull out orange peel taste, but I will say that the lychee flavor comes through, and if you eat an actual lychee and then sip the wine the flavor explosion is worth the price of admission.

Thanks for that, going to try it this weekend, that is the Lychee thing.

Latest posts

Back