Best Beginner Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alien77721

Reaction score
I got the $130 Vintners kit of of Amazon ordered. What's the EASIEST wine to make in your opinion? Starting off easy...

I got the $130 Vintners kit of of Amazon ordered. What's the EASIEST wine to make in your opinion? Starting off easy...

Most of the kits are pretty easy for beginners and the steps are quite similar. For your first few, while you get the process down, consider the ones without grape packs or the need to boost the sugar during fermentation (like the sweet dessert wines), or the ones with flavoring packs. None of that is difficult, but the ones without them are simpler. After you get comfy with the process, the little added steps are really no big deal.

What's the EASIEST wine to make in your opinion? Starting off easy...

The "easiest" wine is a dry red wine kit without grape skins.

All you do is mix to 6 gallons, add the yeast, stir daily, rack after about a week, rack again after about a week adding k-meta, and then let time do the rest.

Skins add a little more difficulty in stirring/racking, but not much.

whites, sweeter, and flavored wines add clarifying and back sweetening.

The "easiest" wine is a dry red wine kit without grape skins.

All you do is mix to 6 gallons, add the yeast, stir daily, rack after about a week, rack again after about a week adding k-meta, and then let time do the rest.

Skins add a little more difficulty in stirring/racking, but not much.

whites, sweeter, and flavored wines add clarifying and back sweetening.

Rich, you mentioned the very hardest part for someone starting out. "let time do the rest". Everyone wants the wine to get done so it can be tasted. Very hard to wait for it to get to its prime. :h Arne.

I will say that a simple white wine kit would be by far the easiest and quickest wine for a first-timer.

Whites ferment easily, they finish fairly quickly and you can see through them to know when they are clear.

4 to 6 months and you will have a drinkable wine. With a red, a year is about the minimum for good wine.

It's more important to make a wine you like then it is to make a easy wine you don't like.

If you don't mind me asking which Vintners kit is at that price point.

Can you be a little more, like style, Merlot;etc.I never seen a vintners kit at that price range.

Can you be a little more, like style, Merlot;etc.I never seen a vintners kit at that price range.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W3PZ1GS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467465672&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=master+vintner+wine+starter+kit&dpPl=1&dpID=51vL1CMNskL&ref=plSrch

What recipe kit did you get?

Or, did you just get the equipment, and you are asking which recipe kit should you get for your first batch?

What kind of wines do you like to drink?

What recipe kit did you get?

Or, did you just get the equipment, and you are asking which recipe kit should you get for your first batch?

What kind of wines do you like to drink?

Yeah this was just supplies. I like all kinds. I have an elderly friend who used to make all kinds of fruit wines. They were savory and strong. Do like to try to make something like that.

Joe, I think he is talking about an equipment kit only. You know, 6 gallon carboy, autosyphon, hydrometer easy clean campden tablets etc.

Oops, I see you all already figured that out!

Pam in cinti

Last edited:
Ok. Home Brew Supply is offering $20 off $150 order. Which basically means you get cheap shipping.

Get the Winexpert Selection Australian Petit Verdot With Grape Skins Winemaking Kit. that kit is drinkable in 9 months, and gets better with age.

To get over $150, add another kit. Stay in the $90+ range on a kit, and you should get a decent one.

All the kits are about the same difficulty. Oak and grape skins add a little more difficulty, so maybe pick a kit without grape skins for your first one.

To get your feet wet without spending a lot of money I'd go one of two ways; either buy a Orchard Breezin' Peach Perfection as this kit is easy to make and most people like it. Kit runs between $65 and $75. The other option and I hate to say it is Dragons Blood and there is all kinds of information on how to make that on this forum. This about the cheapest way to go unless you have your own fruit. You can find threads on what others are doing on both of these wines on here.

The most important thing to remember is if you don't know what to do next then don't do nothing until you ask. There are a lot of really good wine makers on here that are always glad to help.

I have to say that I jumped into kits. Instructions (exempting inadequate degassing) are pretty easy to follow on all.

Reds are more forgiving for clarity than whites. So there's that. But adding a pack of raisins, grapes or oak at the start is none too challenging.

Skeeter pee was super easy to make too.

I'd say the hardest is adding time. I'm forever wanting to rush things. Waiting even the 4-8 weeks of a kit timeline feels like ages. (there is a 7day kit from fontana if you're in a huge rush - no idea about it tho)

That all might be true but you first should know your base and it's profile, there is a little more to it then just tossing in this or that, even the best chiefs can make a mistake .Th e first kit one should follow the manufacturer instructions, it doesn't matter the price of any of these kits, the flow in 98%of the time the same. Manufacturers instructions are just that, instructions they don't know who is Going to make their kit ,under what conditions or sanitation conditions that's why they're called instructions. Just my opinion.

Yeah this was just supplies. I like all kinds. I have an elderly friend who used to make all kinds of fruit wines. They were savory and strong. Do like to try to make something like that.

My suggestion would be to try Dragon's Blood. There is a thread that tells you how to make it. It's a fruit wine.

Then you could start a red kit. These take anywhere from 6-8 weeks on the instructions, but they are better with 6-12 months of aging. You could drink the Dragon's Blood while your kit is maturing.

Back