warning - problem buying Fermax on Amazon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the past I ordered 1 lb Fermax yeast nutrient from North Mountain Supply via Amazon, and I've had good results with them as a seller. This year the cost for Fermax nearly tripled, so I ordered from BSG HandCraft Store, also via Amazon.

The product arrived today ... and it's LD Carlson yeast nutrient. I check the reviews, and sure enough, others reported the same problem.

The product is not returnable, but I received the wrong one, so they should refund it. Amazon routed me in a circle between various pages. The third time I hit the "what is your problem?" page (my name for it), I clicked a link indicating I needed more help. I was routed to a digital assistant, which still wasn't straightforward. However, the end result is Amazon refunded the full price.

This is only the second significant problem I've had with Amazon. About 10 years ago I purchased a Samsung tablet for my wife and got a fake. Amazon refunded the full price after minimal verification.

The fake Fermax link is: Amazon.com

In the past I ordered 1 lb Fermax yeast nutrient from North Mountain Supply via Amazon, and I've had good results with them as a seller. This year the cost for Fermax nearly tripled, so I ordered from BSG HandCraft Store, also via Amazon.

The product arrived today ... and it's LD Carlson yeast nutrient. I check the reviews, and sure enough, others reported the same problem.

The product is not returnable, but I received the wrong one, so they should refund it. Amazon routed me in a circle between various pages. The third time I hit the "what is your problem?" page (my name for it), I clicked a link indicating I needed more help. I was routed to a digital assistant, which still wasn't straightforward. However, the end result is Amazon refunded the full price.

This is only the second significant problem I've had with Amazon. About 10 years ago I purchased a Samsung tablet for my wife and got a fake. Amazon refunded the full price after minimal verification.

The fake Fermax link is: Amazon.com
I’m suprised Amazon is usually pretty good about making things right and not letting fake products or incorrect products stay on the site for long

You have to report it - I just did. Even though it's a pain to find, once you get into a chat session with a real person they will quickly refund the money.
Ditto. I once ordered some chili base for canning. There was to be one order of 10 packs. I got one pack. It was not returnable so I had to search for a phone number. Once I found it, the customer rep was great and they refunded my money. I’ve had other wrong orders and have managed to get satisfactory results- it might take some work though.

Just an observation. I have not had an issue with Amazon on any purchase I made through them. However, I find more and more I am able to beat their pricing (including "free delivery") with a little searching and comparison on other sites.
Yep, always compare. Just had to order parts for my wife's iRobot Roomba. Part was $129 on Amazon, from several vendors, just for fun went to the iRobot store and ordered the same part (except an official iRobot part) for $64. You have to compare.

Just an observation. I have not had an issue with Amazon on any purchase I made through them. However, I find more and more I am able to beat their pricing (including "free delivery") with a little searching and comparison on other sites.
Yup -- yah gotta know your prices. This is true of the warehouse stores like Costco, BJ's, and Sam's -- their prices are not necessarily best.

The things I buy on Amazon are typically things I cannot get locally. My LHBS hasn't had Fermax in stock since last spring, so I ordered online. I was in last weekend and the owner was still out of stock, said he couldn't get it, so he sold me Fermaid-K at the Fermax price. I'm not complaining.

Latest posts

Back