Putting 'stolen' wine back into the must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JarredAwesome

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I read, that you shouldn't put wine from a wine thief back in your fermenter.

I couldn't find an explanation why. Am I supposed to disguard my sample every time I use a hydrometer?

Thanks

I have read numerous times about not returning the sample to the must. However...

I must admit that I'm just to frugal not to return the stolen wine back into the must. Also, muost of my SG readings are taken while the must/wine is in a bucket and in those frequent instances the sanitized hydrometer is simple place into the bucket and sometimes left there for days.

Last edited:
If you're equipment is properly sanitized and you do not do anything that could contaminate the wine while working with it. (anything coming in contact with it that wasn't sanitized) I have no idea why that would be a problem.

Let me ask.. What did you do to the sample?

If you exposed the sample to sodium hydroxide (during a TA test) or litmus paper or perhaps PH buffer solution, I would NOT return it.

If the wine simply sat in a clean thief and nothing was done to it then, yes, I would return the wine to the fermenter.

Last edited:
This has to be your personal decision on what risk you want to take.

Commercially I would never do it because it's too much of a hassle to remove a VC lid just for a small sample and I would be exposing the entire surface area to oxygen. Risk of contamination would be very small if everything was sanitized and I didn't add anything to the sample.

At home I would return the sample to the carboy if everything was sanitized and I didn't add anything to the sample just to try and keep the carboy topped up. However, keep in mind the risk is much higher adding a sample back to 6 gallons than it is to 600 gallons.

I alway return "most" of it to the carboy. I always taste every sample I theive from the carboy. As long as everything is sanitized and nothing added, I don't see a problem pouring it back in, save for a little nip. It's what I always do and I've gone through several hundred kits without a problem.

A good habit is to sanitize the thief in between samples, to avoid cross contamination between barrels/carboys, but I only take enough out for the sample that I needed and don't return.

I always sanitize and I always return the sample back after dropping the hydrometer straight into the thief. Everything gets sanitized inside and out.

Back