Bulk Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneill

Reaction score
I can't really find any data that indicates bulk aging (at least in glass carboys) does much of anything over bottling. If you are oaking, that's a different story, but simply bulk aging after the kit instructions to bottle does not seem to matter. Sure the temperature issue (bottle vs bulk) and sure the desire to drink it, however nothing substantial. Am I missing anything? Thoughts pro or con?

Thanks

I can't really find any data that indicates bulk aging (at least in glass carboys) does much of anything over bottling. If you are oaking, that's a different story, but simply bulk aging after the kit instructions to bottle does not seem to matter. Sure the temperature issue (bottle vs bulk) and sure the desire to drink it, however nothing substantial. Am I missing anything? Thoughts pro or con?

Thanks

Your wine will age just fine either way. I'll offer this thought, as it ages and changes, if it's in a carboy, you still have opportunity to enhance its development, not so easy in a bottle. You can adjust Ph, TA, oak, tannins, sweetness, unless it's in a bottle. Any decent kit, which improves with age, is worthy of some time in a carboy as it evolves.

I just split my Dry Creek Chardonnay. I bulk aged it which allowed me to decide after the fact to split it and oak half an leave the other un-oaked.

Both are still young, but right now. I suspect after tasting both that I will like the oaked better and that's was my tweak, not the standard kit's directions which went with un-oaked.

Going forward. Until I think it's 1 month's time to drink the first bottle. It's 100% bulk unless there is a reason not too.

I agree with Johnd. Today I saw a post on a wine I had in the carboy. Months back I felt something was off. If I had bottled this wine it would have been so hard to bring it into the levels of pH, TA, and tannins that I enjoy drinking. Even though this is a kit it is still not balanced for me. I still have the opportunity to balance the wine, then bottle it when I am satisfied. Then I can sit back and wait for the magic to happen.

Cheers!!!

Thanks

The advantage, beyond those stated above, is that your wine will clear and degas on it's own while bulk aging. You can avoid chemicals, stirring, brake bleeders, etc.

+1 on the above,

A period of bulk ageing allows additional time for your wine to drop sediment, giving you an extra opportunity to rack it. I have found that there is a lot more sediment that forms over time and I rather rack than decant.

Wine always lasts longer in the carboy; less temptation to drink.
This would be the most convincing reason in favor of bulk (carboy/barrel) aging. Besides, if you're serious about this hobby, you'll eventually (sooner rather than later) be providing your carboy some company!!:r

I like to bulk age my reds for a year in the carboy. I made a Sangiovese juice bucket in the fall of 2014. No tweaks or anything other than normal procedures. Well work and life got in the way and kind of forgot about it. I checked the SO-2 and the PH this past March and when I went to make my adjustments and stir in my K-Meta I was shocked to hear all the wine diamonds on the bottom of the carboy. I racked immediately and bottled a month later. If it was bottled already I probably would not be to happy. Bakervinyard

Wine always lasts longer in the carboy; less temptation to drink.

LOL, I am afraid I have to disagree. It is easier to thief a bit out of the carboy than it is to open a bottle. At least it seems to work that way here. Worst part of this is now have to find smaller containers, next size smaller carboy, a few bottles with airlocks on them maybe a gal. container. Really easy to thief some out of them. Lets you keep the quality control up. Just my two cents, I really don't have much control over trying the new wines. Or maybe it is just my wine gremlins. Those guys are pretty greedy. Arne.

Latest posts

Back