Why not stir lees back into suspension???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnuscan

Tnuscan=Tennesseean
Reaction score
Hello, it's me again!!

I am curious as to why the Wine Kits want you to stir the lees back into suspension, and no one mentions or discusses it in most posts.

Most all reply posts tell one to rack and then add this or that, or rack and then stir, and add this, or that then wait and rack again and etc...

Is there a reason we don't stir the lees back in? I thought it added body and mouth feel to the wine. What am I missing?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I believe kits have you stir more while in primary to help aerate the wine so the yeast keeps active and it reaches SG in 10-14 days.Your wine won't clear if you keep stirring.
I stir for the 1st 5-7days ,especially when there's a grape pak so as to extract as much as possible. But no longer than that unless I notice a stall in fermenting.

Kit makers have spent years perfecting their process and instructions to make them as foolproof as possible. As a result they take a different approach on some things from traditional wine making steps. Some of the differences are: 1) yeast is sprinkled on top dry instead of rehydrating in water and stirring in; 2) adding bentonite up front; 3) snapping down the lid on the primary and using an airlock (no stirring of the wine in the primary) vs. just covering the primary with a cloth or a loose lid and stirring daily; 4) not racking the wine off of the sediment in the secondary before stirring in the stabilizing and clearing chemicals and degassing. As you get more experience you will start to understand that in wine making there are almost always multiple different ways of doing each step that all work about equally well. However, there are a few not so good practices that you want to avoid. Until you learn the difference it is always better to stick to the instructions. The instructions give you the best odds for successfully making a good batch of wine from that particular kit. You will also get better support from the manufacturer if you run into problems.

I've never read anything from any of the manufactures about why they do not want you to rack before stirring in the K-meta, sorbate and clearing agent but my guess is that it is a combination of: 1) there might be a little bentonite in there that got racked over from the primary that will help with clearing; 2) when you stir the fine lees up into the wine they are a lot bigger and heavier than the fine particles suspended in the wine. When they settle back down through the wine they give the much finer particles something to attach to and get pulled down to the bottom. 3) they have already settled out of the wine once during the short period of time of the secondary fermentation. They will settle out again before the time allocated for clearing is up so there is no harm done. I could be wrong about all of the above. It is just my guess.

Last edited:
A couple years ago Wine Expert changed their instructions. The new way was to NOT rack over before clearing and stabilizing but to, as you state, stir the lees back into suspension. They warn, that racking may permanently prevent your wine form clearing.

Well after many kits made since the instructions were changed, and ALWAYS racking before adding the chems, I have never had a wine that did not clear (red or white).

I suspect the change had more to do with making kits easier to make for the U-Brew operations. Just think of the time savings for a store by not having to rack every carboy and then clear. It also keeps the wine volume up as you dont have any loss as you would by racking.

Just my take on it. (When in doubt, always follow the instructions)

cheers

Some wine kits have instructions to do that but not all. I've not run into that instruction with any of the many RJS kits I've done. I have seen it in a number of, but not all, the WE kits.

When you do Mosti Mondiale kits, they have you remove fruit / oak from your fermenting bucket prior to transferring to carboy to complete AF. After those are removed, most of the time, you're prompted to stir the lees back into suspension and transfer all to your carboy.

Every kit maker seems to have their own little nuances, but they follow the winemaking process. I visited NApa this past fall, didn't talk to any two wineries that do things just the same. Winemakers preference is our poetic license, staying within the proven successful process, of course. When you have a thorough understanding of the process and the science behind it, you recognize where you can afford experimentation and deviation. Your experimentation, if you take notes and compare outcomes, is the really rewarding part. At least for me.

There ya have it!!! You can find as many offerings "for as opposed" to a give method or process! As Dhaynes posted, you would do well to learn all you can about each and every step before striking out on your own. Good way to avoid surprises!!

I have never made a kit, however, I think the challenge would be to understand if the instructions were pointing you in a certain direction to make the best wine possible or to hurry things along, so you'll order another kit.

WE uses a one step fining agent. The lees are left on as this improves and shortens the clearing process. Everybody else uses a 2 step process with two fining agents. One agent reacts with positively charged proteins and the other reacts with negatively charged proteins. The lees can be racked off before hand with the 2 step fining process.

Winemaker magazine has a good article on how fining agents work

There ya have it!!! You can find as many offerings "for as opposed" to a give method or process! As Dhaynes posted, you would do well to learn all you can about each and every step before striking out on your own. Good way to avoid surprises!!

Yes I agree,

Thanks, Dhaynes For your very informative post.

" Good way to avoid surprises!!" LOL. That was a good one.

Thanks

WE uses a one step fining agent. The lees are left on as this improves and shortens the clearing process. Everybody else uses a 2 step process with two fining agents. One agent reacts with positively charged proteins and the other reacts with negatively charged proteins. The lees can be racked off before hand with the 2 step fining process.

Winemaker magazine has a good article on how fining agents work

Thank you I will check into this also. Knowledge is key.

Kit makers have spent years perfecting their process and instructions to make them as foolproof as possible. As a result they take a different approach on some things from traditional wine making steps. Some of the differences are: 1) yeast is sprinkled on top dry instead of rehydrating in water and stirring in; 2) adding bentonite up front; 3) snapping down the lid on the primary and using an airlock (no stirring of the wine in the primary) vs. just covering the primary with a cloth or a loose lid and stirring daily; 4) not racking the wine off of the sediment in the secondary before stirring in the stabilizing and clearing chemicals and degassing. As you get more experience you will start to understand that in wine making there are almost always multiple different ways of doing each step that all work about equally well. However, there are a few not so good practices that you want to avoid. Until you learn the difference it is always better to stick to the instructions. The instructions give you the best odds for successfully making a good batch of wine from that particular kit. You will also get better support from the manufacturer if you run into problems.

I've never read anything from any of the manufactures about why they do not want you to rack before stirring in the K-meta, sorbate and clearing agent but my guess is that it is a combination of: 1) there might be a little bentonite in there that got racked over from the primary that will help with clearing; 2) when you stir the fine lees up into the wine they are a lot bigger and heavier than the fine particles suspended in the wine. When they settle back down through the wine they give the much finer particles something to attach to and get pulled down to the bottom. 3) they have already settled out of the wine once during the short period of time of the secondary fermentation. They will settle out again before the time allocated for clearing is up so there is no harm done. I could be wrong about all of the above. It is just my guess.

Very interesting. Thank you for your reply.

When you do Mosti Mondiale kits, they have you remove fruit / oak from your fermenting bucket prior to transferring to carboy to complete AF. After those are removed, most of the time, you're prompted to stir the lees back into suspension and transfer all to your carboy.

Every kit maker seems to have their own little nuances, but they follow the winemaking process. I visited NApa this past fall, didn't talk to any two wineries that do things just the same. Winemakers preference is our poetic license, staying within the proven successful process, of course. When you have a thorough understanding of the process and the science behind it, you recognize where you can afford experimentation and deviation. Your experimentation, if you take notes and compare outcomes, is the really rewarding part. At least for me.

Thanks,

I always look forward to your replies.

Thanks again!

Back