Cranberry won't ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCPT18

Reaction score
Started fresh cranberry last week ... 2.5 gallons. added nutrient,energizer, kmeta. Pitched kv1- 1116. Sg 1.096. Did not start...3 days later made a starter and tried again. Today 1 week later still at 1.096. Temps have been at 68-70. I think it may be that I overdosed on the kmeta at the beginning. Been stirring regular to off gas it. That has not helped. I was going to try another starter and reverse feed it. Any thoughts?

EC1118 might be your answer. Initial pH? I am definitely not an expert, but I played around with many small batches of cranberry last year. The 1118 rescued my stuck fermentations.

My shop was out of 1118. I don't have a ph reading.
Kmeta ...1 tsp in 2 gal.(yikes)

Try pouring it back and forth between two buckets a couple of times. Raise the temp. up to 80 degrees or so, not necessary for the whole house, just the must. (put in a bucket of warm water, put a heater on it. In the cold months, I use a small electric heater and put themust bucket in a big cardboard box. Have a hole in it to place the heater, not inside the box just aiming the warm air in.) Make a starter, put yeast in some warm water with a little sugar and a little nutrient. When it gets started, add some of your must, a cup or so. When it gets to fermenting, add some more must. Do this a few times til it gets fermenting good, then add to your must. Any one of these things mite get it going. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thanks Arne. I got the temp up to 80 with a heating pad. Have a starter going with must additions cruising along. I will splash it around when I get to the basement before adding the starter.
Two questions. The fruit has been in the juice since last weekend. Should I leave it in for the primary. Any fear of the cranberries getting funky?
When I put the starter in should I stir it or not?

Appreciate the help all!

Make sure the starter temp and must temp are the same before adding.

Thanks Arne. I got the temp up to 80 with a heating pad. Have a starter going with must additions cruising along. I will splash it around when I get to the basement before adding the starter.
Two questions. The fruit has been in the juice since last weekend. Should I leave it in for the primary. Any fear of the cranberries getting funky?
When I put the starter in should I stir it or not?

Appreciate the help all!

Just have to use your eyes, your nose and taste. Some fruit goes bad faster than other fruit. If you get the alcohol going, it helps to preserve the fruit. Hope this helps, sometimes a lame answer is better than none at all. Arne.

Update....1.5 weeks later we have take off. Increased temps to80. Shook and stirred to dissipate the excess kmeta I added, 2 yeast starters with the last one being fed 1/4-3/4 cup of must every 4-6 hours to keep it perking.
Last night it was do or die. Added the yeast to the balance of the must and the fruit and it was going like gang busters when I got home tonight. Can only hope it will finish a d be tasty when complete.
This was my toughest start in 15 years of wineing.
Thanks for all your advice.

A little late here but, I make cranberry wine often and Montrachet is the only yeast that works for me

Back