Back sweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rawzero

Junior
Reaction score
I am just a few days (2) before being ready to stabilize and degassing of my Mezza Luna kit. I wanted to back sweeten the wine a bit using Chenin Blanc grape juice which is on it's way but could be a week getting here. Would it be okay to just let the wine sit until the juice gets here or or should I go ahead with degassing and stabilizing and fining and back sweeten after the juice comes in?

It is always safe to wait a few days when making wine.

If I were in your place, I would probably stabilize, if by that you mean to add the potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite.

I might degass, but since I am adding a new sugar source to the mix, I would probably give it a few weeks to months to make certain it doesn't start to referment.

I would wait to add any fining until I was just about ready to bottle.

stabilize and fine now. make sure wine is clear before adding anything else. concentrate may cause problems. do a bench trial find the right blend. make a small batch about a bottle and let it sit for about two weeks. make sure you add sorbate to sample. if no ill affects and taste is want you want on the sample complete the larger batch and then bottle.

Many ways to do things and no disrespect to the other members. Not knowing how much fruit juice you're going to add, I would wait before stabilizing. When you determine the amount of juice to add, do it. Now based on your final volume add your meta and sorbate (meta amount should be based on ph and volume). Now you are ready to bottle in a day or two.

I am assuming your wine is already clear. If it is not, go ahead and do that now, while waiting for your juice.

The wine is not clear. It has just finished its secondary fermentation. The kit instructions say to now stabilize with the Pot. Sorbate and Meta. Degas, and then add the finings. I am also suppose to add the F-pack to it but since I added that on the front I had planned to back sweeten with Alexanders concentrate. :d

Ask 5 winemakers a question.....you get 5 answers :). None of them bad or wrong, just different and a lot of that depends on approach and a lot of other circumstances. I approach winemaking like I do restoring cars; one thing at a time, in sequence. This way I can see the results along the way with just a variable or two.

I would sorbate, SO2 and fine and let it sit until clear. Now you know you are working with something good and ready to bottle or back sweeten...you are ready to go on to the next step. I would then back sweeten to taste and let it sit for 3 months until it clears and shows no sign of activity. Then it's time to rack and bottle.

Okay, I stabilized, degassed, and fined the wine. I did not top up the carboy as the instructions said not too. I will back sweeten when the concentrate gets here, add a little more P Meta and top up with a Chenin Blanc if needed. How does that sound guys? :D

Back