Whats floating in my batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaylegregory

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, I am so new you can't even call me a newby. Hubby and I found a lot of muscadine while camping and thought it would be a good idea to make some wine. After searching Pinterest (yep, I know) for Muscadine Wine I found this "recipe" and did the following. Into a clean 5 gallon pail I placed a pillowcase. After washing and removing all stems and such I crushed the fruit. I placed 3 quarts of crushed fruit along with 9 pounds of sugar and a package of yeast into the bucket. I placed a lid loosely on the bucket and stored at room temp. For 5 days I stirred the fruit on the 6th day I squeezed all the juice from the pillow case into the bucket. At this point the juice had no sediment or debris at all. I put this in a water bottle like you use in a water cooler with a stopper and an airlock. Everything I used was cleaned with PBW and sanitized with Star stan as directed. 3 days later I now have some stuff floating near the bottom. It's not powdery like Lee, kinda like floaties.. Sorry, I know this isnt very technical but it is how it is.. please help?:slp

If you can put a picture of the floaties I'm sure you can get more helpful answers :) instead of just guessing what it looks like

That could be anything.
Just make sure you keep sanitizing everything properly and use meta or campden tablets at the appropriate times.
It's normal to have all manner of things floating in primary and the beginning of your secondary fermentation.

I'd honestly be more concerned about how it tastes.
I think you might be a bit light on fruit for a batch that size, though I've never had muscadine.
A lot of us here started out making Dragon's Blood, which is a light and very quick maturing wine and even it uses 6 lbs of fruit for a 6 gallon batch.
If you taste it and you like it then great.
If you think it needs a little more oomph then post and we can help you figure out something.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back